Self Insertion Recomendations

For stories, roleplaying, or any other creative literary projects.
User1652
Padawan

Self Insertion Recomendations

Post by User1652 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:26 am

So I am not so sure if Recomendation threads are allowed on this site but my favorite genere of fanfiction for some reason has always been self insertions and I always found them to be facinating. I like them for the technological shock of the characters reaction to our modern technology when the author inserts himself in the story. So I was wondering are there any fanfics where it is like that and happen to be good and not turn out to be total Marry Sues? Because most fanfics that are self insertions people say that they are Marry Sues and I would like to know if there are any that are not.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: Self Insertion Recomendations

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:51 am

Yes, there are numerous beyond mention fanfics like that. Just check out our review forum for some examples. But the biggest Versus debate-related Gary Stu (the male version of Mary Sue) you'll find is from Michael Wong's "Conquest" stories. Admiral Kanos is clearly Wong, along with a few "mouth piece" characters.
-Mike

User1652
Padawan

Post by User1652 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:40 pm

yes, I have read Star Trek Conquest and I found it to be a little to Wanky. (But what are you going to get when you read a fanfic that was made by Star Wars wankers.) I am mostly into Fantasy self insertions instead of sci fi. If it where Sci fi than I would love to see the reactions of a far weaker force meeting a force much more powerful. Much like SB author ajw in his fanfic Star Trek Destiny's child which is a Stargate/ST crossover.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:13 pm

The problem with most fanfics is that they are prone towards Mary Sues/Gary Stu self-insertions. It's the nature of the beast, as they say. That's why I don't read very many such stories, unless they come very highly recommended.

Anyway, check out this thread here.
-Mike

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:06 am

Star trek conquest is something you have to read for the sheer insanity of it i recommend it with the forward that you treat it as a parody and with that in mind you might love it

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:37 am

Even trying to read it that way doesn't work, precisely because of it's tone, which is far too serious to be taken as parody. You can MST3K it, but not read it as parody.
-Mike

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:53 am

listen guys, this thread is disturbing. well, not the thread, but the title of the thread. it could be worded differently, i would think. i mean, it brings to mind self-insertions one might attempt using some sort of lubricating jelly and possibly small live rodents. not that there's anything wrong with that.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:17 pm

Aren't you overthinking this just a wee bit too much?
-Mike

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:13 am

no.
-Mojo

TheRainKing777
Bridge Officer

Post by TheRainKing777 » Mon May 21, 2012 8:47 am

I recommend not inserting yourself into things unless those things are consenting human females and unless things are your penis.