Disney Canon ISD vs. nBSG Galactica

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Khas
Starship Captain

Disney Canon ISD vs. nBSG Galactica

Post by Khas » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:24 pm

Alright, so in a one-on-one fight, which capital ship would emerge victorious? A bog-standard Disney-canon ISD, or the reimagined Galactica?

Both starships will have standard armaments, as well as full compliments of TIE Fighters and Vipers.

Starship Captain

Re: Disney Canon ISD vs. nBSG Galactica

Post by 2046 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:26 am

I'm trying to imagine how a turbolaser bolt would react to the flak barrage "shield" from the pilot.

Sideswipe
Bridge Officer

Post by Sideswipe » Wed May 15, 2019 1:15 pm

At the very least Glactica could shove the Star Destroyer into a planet.

WhiteLion
Padawan

Post by WhiteLion » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:23 am

The Galactica can't compete, shield are inesistent, the armor is good but not against SD's turbolaser. The Galactica's nuke are have a good power but not sufficient for the firepower of the SD. Also for the hyperdrivefor me is better the SD.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:45 am

Shields would seem to be a serious advantage for the ISD, though we don't know how they'd deal with kinetics or 50 megaton nukes. By energy that's 'merely' fifty of the largest turbolaser bolts (roughly) but the power, given the near-instantaneous detonation, will probably be tremendous.

We've seen Republic transports blown apart in atmosphere by sub-megaton fire over Ryloth, IIRC, so unless the argument is that they were unshielded when coming in over a hostile surface then one's mileage could definitely vary.

WhiteLion
Padawan

Post by WhiteLion » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:23 pm

would a turbolaser have only 1 megaton?

Jedi Knight

Post by 359 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:01 pm

2046 wrote:We've seen Republic transports blown apart in atmosphere by sub-megaton fire over Ryloth, IIRC, so unless the argument is that they were unshielded when coming in over a hostile surface then one's mileage could definitely vary.
A clone on the bridge informs Gen. Windu that "the enemy fire is penetrating our shields" which I took as bypassing their shield. And while the explosions are definitely sized below a 1Mt nuke, I (personally) wouldn't limit a sci-fi series' yields by their relatively small flack explosions. Although I do agree with that assessment.

But as per the point of a nuke's power, we see an otherwise impenetrable planitary shield breached by impact with an ISD in Rogue One even through the shield didn't completely fall. So I'd imagine the instantaneous power of a 50*Turbolaser nuke would penetrate an ISD's shield.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:04 pm

Thanks for the catch! Pardon my senility.

misternobody86
Redshirt

Post by misternobody86 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:09 pm

I'd tentatively say the Star Destroyer. Thanks to shields it should be more protected and durable than the Galactica while its own turbolaser bolts should be in the Terajoule range going by the "vaporize a small town" reference or the Hoth asteroid scene while, IIRC, the main guns on a battlestar are closer to gigajoule range. Nuclear weapons would off set this, a 50 megaton nuke certainly won't do nice things to a Star Destroyer, but again to my knowledge such weapons aren't typical in normal engagements in nBSG. Instead deployed more akin to strategic weapons ala real world navies might rather than normal ordinance.

Coupled with Tie fighters to keep Vipers off of them, a Star Destroyer might be able to close the distance and just slug it out with the Galactica pummeling it into submission before they have a chance to arm and launch their nuclear ordinance.