Club ASVS is up

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: Club ASVS is up

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:25 am

I hope so...there actually hasn't been that much debate for me to weigh in on lately, as far as Trek vs. Wars. Kinda disappointing, really.

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:37 pm

Well Tyralak seems to be the guy who started ASVS in the first place so it seems rather appropriate.

Enosh
Padawan

Post by Enosh » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:16 am

I hope so...there actually hasn't been that much debate for me to weigh in on lately, as far as Trek vs. Wars. Kinda disappointing, really.
isn't that debate preaty much dead?

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:02 am

Yes, that is my point. I'm a little disappointed about it, simply because I missed out on most of it. Too young. I'm really interested in it, but there really isn't much to be interested in, anymore.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:09 am

There are a number of seemingly-basic calculations as yet unperformed, a number of details as yet unsettled. Hell, man, with much of the underlying evidence now having been revised with CGI and now available in twice the resolution, the analysis has really just begun anew!

Check the Vs. forum and I'll show you a few basic things we don't know.

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:12 am

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight wrote:Yes, that is my point. I'm a little disappointed about it, simply because I missed out on most of it. Too young. I'm really interested in it, but there really isn't much to be interested in, anymore.
Yeah, me too. The most entertaining parts seem to be way early in the debate. It went from being a fun minor hobby to a bizarre ego trip and a nerdy IQ/mathematical version of a dick waving contest.
2046 wrote:There are a number of seemingly-basic calculations as yet unperformed, a number of details as yet unsettled. Hell, man, with much of the underlying evidence now having been revised with CGI and now available in twice the resolution, the analysis has really just begun anew!
Nope, you'll just get countered with something about how it's non-canon or you're misinterpreting official LFL/Paramount canon policy.

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:00 am

Jedi Master Spock wrote:Very good move, I'd say. I definitely didn't have the time to port ASVS in through a section here, and I think your theme definitely looks a lot better than mine. Recoloring Black Pearl to a more SFJ-type color set just hasn't worked out too well. (If anybody has any theme suggestions, by the way, please pass them on in the TD thread.) I also really like the Warbird shot.

I think Tyralak is very right in that the sort of venue he describes - genuinely unmoderated discussion - simply does not exist within the VS community. SFJ was the only place where a moderator would not ban you simply for disagreeing with some perceived consensus - and our standards of polite conduct are much higher than SDN or SBC, which seems to have kept away most of the Saxtonite crowd.

It's quite possible that Tyralak's site could even prove a more active debate venue, and that would be a good thing.
Thank you for the kind words, JMS. I just stumbled up on that theme for SMF, and did some basic customization. SMF isn't as feature laden as I'd like though. If this board takes off, I will upgrade to Vbulliten by the end of the year, but I will try to keep the same design. Please join, if you haven't already. I will also be leaving you a PM shortly. I have something I'd like to discuss with you.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:58 pm

Jedi Master Spock wrote: I think Tyralak is very right in that the sort of venue he describes - genuinely unmoderated discussion - simply does not exist within the VS community. SFJ was the only place where a moderator would not ban you simply for disagreeing with some perceived consensus - and our standards of polite conduct are much higher than SDN or SBC, which seems to have kept away most of the Saxtonite crowd.

It's quite possible that Tyralak's site could even prove a more active debate venue, and that would be a good thing.
That's part of the problem with activity on ASVS being significantly higher than here at SFJN; with one side of the debate having convinced themselves they won, especially after having some of their top members contribute to a couple of children's books that just happen to have numbers a thousand times more powerful than in Trek, they have little reason (in their minds) to go anywhere else. Strek-vs-Swars.net's forum was probably the last real place where the issue could have had a high degree of activity. At SB.com, as Robert points out, they have a couple of good reasons to be there; with like-minded prp-SW moderators who will help them to quell any dissent from the party line much as is done on SDN, though on SB.com, there are signs of people now more often than not questioning ICS given the current extensive damage being done by the TCW CGI series to the point where the likes of Leo1 and Point45 have to attempt to troll a thread so that it gets shut down rather than actually face the music, and at least one pro-Wars mod who tried desperately to change the rules on acceptable evidence (That the TCW TV series was somehow not canon or acceptable over ICS). Here at SFNJ and now ASVS, there are no biased mods who will come to the SW tailfan's rescue with bans and thread closings should us infidels decide not to except their flimsy arguements and evidence.
-Mike

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:24 am

I wouldn't call "new" ASVS non-biased. Tyralak definitely has a Trekkie streak going.

Not to mention, it is just a new site with a small membership....

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:28 pm

ILikeDeathNote wrote:I wouldn't call "new" ASVS non-biased. Tyralak definitely has a Trekkie streak going.

Not to mention, it is just a new site with a small membership....
This is true. I am an unapologetic Trekkie. However, biased moderation is not allowed. Hell, there's almost no real moderation to begin with. The only time a mod or admin steps in is if one of my very few rules are broken. And those rules are the most basic I can get away with, mostly related to things that can get me in trouble.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:41 pm

So do you plan on "hiring" additional mods at some point?
-Mike

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:47 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:So do you plan on "hiring" additional mods at some point?
-Mike
This...

Couldn't hurt to have a pro wars mod, right? *evil laugh* ;)

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:25 am

-Mike
Yep. Definitely. Right now, RayCav is the mod of the TGOD forums, Ali-Sama and Classichummus are mods of the Science and Math forum. If you see a mod called "Testing Sock Puppet" that's my account I use for testing purposes. The admins are myself and Mirah. The others are open.

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:27 am

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight wrote:
-Mike
This...

Couldn't hurt to have a pro wars mod, right? *evil laugh* ;)
Why not? Actually, RayCav is technically a Warsie. But I don't care what affiliation a person is. If I trust them and they can enforce the few rules I have without succumbing to the temptation to get heavy handed, then I'm happy to have them as a mod.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:05 pm

Okay. I'am also curious as to what checks and balances you have in place to resolve disputes, particularly should a ban occur, and is challenged.
-Mike