Club ASVS is up

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Re: Club ASVS is up

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:44 pm

Jedi Master Spock wrote:I wouldn't say so. He makes some good points, and some original points as well. I appreciate his visits to SFJ.
I agree, he's even made me change my mind, or at least strongly reconsider my views on more then a few occasions.
While I do think he sometimes is stubborn, I'm sure he feels the same way about me.
I too like debating with him...

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:32 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:Yeah, it could even be you Tyralak! ;-)
-Mike
LOL! Better yet, he could be ALL of us! "SDA in the parlor with the candlestick."

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:20 pm

SDA could even be me! But hey, if SDN trots out it's own Trekkie troll sockpuppets (see the TrollKingdom hacking of SDN's mod forum incident) themselves why can't ASVS do the same (other than it's hypocritical, of course)? ;-)
-Mike

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:50 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:SDA could even be me! But hey, if SDN trots out it's own Trekkie troll sockpuppets (see the TrollKingdom hacking of SDN's mod forum incident) themselves why can't ASVS do the same (other than it's hypocritical, of course)? ;-)
-Mike
I recall that incident being mentioned before (e.g., here) but I don't think I've ever heard the full details of the story. And I'm a little curious as to what these sockpuppets actually looked like.

Anyway, I will say that having opposing views present is what makes the debate sections of a board more active; I understand how sockpuppets can help get a board's activity level up. Things are certainly a little livelier here when disagreements get rolling, and we see something similar on SDN - almost no VS debate activity except when some new person (or perhaps sockpuppet) comes by and starts something, then a flurry of activity directly related to them.

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:50 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:SDA could even be me! But hey, if SDN trots out it's own Trekkie troll sockpuppets (see the TrollKingdom hacking of SDN's mod forum incident) themselves why can't ASVS do the same (other than it's hypocritical, of course)? ;-)
-Mike
There's that. It might be fun, but I simply don't have the energy for sock puppetry anymore. Keeping up one online persona is enough work as it is. :)

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:03 am

Jedi Master Spock wrote:
-Mike
I recall that incident being mentioned before (e.g., here) but I don't think I've ever heard the full details of the story. And I'm a little curious as to what these sockpuppets actually looked like.
Well, SDN has been a favorite punching bag of TrollKingdom over the years. Mostly because SDN takes themselves so damn seriously. (Just ask Wong if he ever sold that "1947 Ford Motherfucker he had advertised in the paper" and see what reaction you get.) :D But as far as the famous hacking incident goes, I asked the owner of the board, MissManners about it earlier in the year when I first joined TK. She told me it wasn't actually something sanctioned by TK, but the guy who did it bragged about it there. Wong insisted that it was TK's doing and demanded that MissManners give him the guy's personal info. Needless to say, she told him to take a hike.

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:37 am

Oh, and in case anyone's interested; In TDiC thread, the Warsies are getting desparate. Some of them are trotting out the old "Neutronium hull" falsehood and inflated BDZ stuff again.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:47 am

Yeah, I saw that. Nothing changes. But I give pro-Wars people like Kane and Enigma great credit; they don't hide behind the iron walls of Fortress SDN. They at least come out and try to present their case without the Warsie Support Group.
-Mike

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:14 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:Yeah, I saw that. Nothing changes. But I give pro-Wars people like Kane and Enigma great credit; they don't hide behind the iron walls of Fortress SDN. They at least come out and try to present their case without the Warsie Support Group.
-Mike
And to be clear, Enigma is a close personal friend of mine. This is all in good fun between us, notice how my tone differs when talking to him over others.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:26 pm

I was kind of wondering why you weren't doing more to curbstomp Enigma with more serious arguements. I mean, if you want to end the BDZ stuff, start by showing that in the EU itself, it wasn't originally what is being being claimed in ICS or by SDN/SW:TC. Secondly: TCW. 'Nuff said.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:04 pm

Well, I've started on the BDZ bullcrap, so maybe Tyralak won't need to... :)

I'll leave the TiDC stuff between you two though... :)

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:19 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:I was kind of wondering why you weren't doing more to curbstomp Enigma with more serious arguements. I mean, if you want to end the BDZ stuff, start by showing that in the EU itself, it wasn't originally what is being being claimed in ICS or by SDN/SW:TC. Secondly: TCW. 'Nuff said.
-Mike
Oh no. That's not it at all. What I meant is that I'm not going to mercilessly
flame him like I would someone else. I'm still going to call BS. As far as why I haven't said much about TCW is because I haven't had the chance to watch enough of it to make informed statements. I intend to catch up on it, but I'll leave TCW to others for now.

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:52 am

*sigh* Well, we're on their radar now. I was kind of hoping this wouldn't happen for a while. I wondered why certain threads had an unusual amount of "guest" views. For those of you with SDN access, here ya go. http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=137729

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:51 pm

I wouldn't worry about it too much. SDN was bound to find out sooner or later, and we here at SFJN have seen the same thing happen. Just watch our guest views as they rise and fall during certain threads. And lord knows SDN loves to claim they're ignoring us here, while also at the same time talking about us in great detail and making up weird shit to put in their ImperialWiki. Oh yeah, and at least you don't have a wiki to have to patrol against some of their more immature members who show up and try to vandalize it from time-to-time, either.

If I were you, though, because of the association some SDNers have with the old ASVS USENET group, be prepared for a possible board invasion.
-Mike

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:04 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:I wouldn't worry about it too much. SDN was bound to find out sooner or later, and we here at SFJN have seen the same thing happen. Just watch our guest views as they rise and fall during certain threads. And lord knows SDN loves to claim they're ignoring us here, while also at the same time talking about us in great detail and making up weird shit to put in their ImperialWiki. Oh yeah, and at least you don't have a wiki to have to patrol against some of their more immature members who show up and try to vandalize it from time-to-time, either.
This is true. Well, it may turn out to be some free advertising for us. I started a thread about SFJ in my Other Boards section, and provided a link to draw people here who visit my site.
Mike DiCenso wrote:If I were you, though, because of the association some SDNers have with the old ASVS USENET group, be prepared for a possible board invasion.
-Mike
Invasion by SDN or by one of the Chans?