Galactic Empire vs Federation of Planets @ Spacebattles

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: Galactic Empire vs Federation of Planets @ Spacebattles

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:02 am

Bane wrote:.0666 seconds came from Mr. Wong's site.
From Mr. Wong's site? Are you Youngla?

At any rate a quote from Brian Young's Turbolaser Commentaries agrees with my frame count:

The asteroids required 8-9 frames to vaporise completely. Therefore, it took .225-.3 seconds for the asteroids to completely vaporise.

Mike DiCenso wrote: 2.) Your volumetrics and energy requirements are horribly off:

Volume of asteroid: 4188.79 m³
Mass of asteroid: 32,965,759 kg
Heat Capacity of iron: 447 J/kg·K
Initial temp of asteroid: ~200 K, normal for objects in space
Final temp of asteroid: 1853 K for melting
Energy for vaporization of 1 kg of iron: 7.6 megajoules

This would mean approximately 250 TJ for vaporization, or 1,000 to 1,500 TW. The number above presumes that the asteroid is a perfect sphere and is solid elemental iron. It also presumes that the 20 meter number calculated by Brian Young is also correct, which it is not. Using the width of the TL bolts as measured against the width of the asteroids' long axis, you will find that they seldom exceed a range of 2-14 meters.
Bane wrote:Where's your proof for this, too?
That is the proof. It's easily verifiable. I'll give you some helpful hints: The volume of a 20 meter asteroid can be calculated using the following formula; 4/3*π*radius^3. Once you have done that you can look up the physical properties of iron, such as in this Wikipedia article. But if you really don't want to do the work, then you can be lazy and punch it into "Mr." Wong's asteroid destruction calculator here.

Oh gosh look! Everything matches right up!
Mike DiCenso wrote: 3.) Please provide proof of this 100 meter asteroid in TESB. There is no 100 meter asteroid vaporized in that movie, ever. We see 40 m wide flak bursts, but no asteroids of that size or larger vaporized.
-Mike
Bane wrote: I made no such claim.
Really? Remember this:

The 100 meter asteroid, which I have seen for myself, would require 125 petajoules or 1.878 exawatts.

So what did you mean by that?
-Mike

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:15 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:0.0666 is 1/15th of a second.
Against a frame rate of 25 fps, that would be equivalent to 1.6667/25th.
I'd agree with that estimation. On the video I have (25 fps), it takes two frames for an entire asteroid to turn into a white blob, including the first frame which already shows asteroids largely destroyed. The smallest asteroid turns into a white blob within one frame. So we're clearly under two frames in fact

I'm going by the total time it takes for all the little red bits (probably something related to the TL flak phenonmena) to "vaporize" all away, which is 6-8 frames. Not simply the approximately 3 or so frames it takes to turn the asteroids into white blobs.

Most of the rest I'd agree with. We do not see any appreciable KE imparted to the asteroid or the red blobs, the whole thing uniformly disappearing in all directions, which is odd, since if the bolts hit the asteroids as particle weapons and hit from one side, then expanded in a shock wave to the other, the material of the asteroid would be pushed in the bolts' velocity vector very rapidly. We don't see that. It just blows up as if a bomb had been set off inside them.... which is possibly closer to the truth than some would like to admit.
-Mike
Last edited by Mike DiCenso on Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:16 am

I must say that, on a related note, that Sci Fi Fan dude shines. I mean, claiming tera/petatons from the cutscene of KOTOR showing the destruction of Taris... holly pancake. If only he knew that Taris was featured in the KOTOR MMO...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03V7s6usPR4

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:35 am

By Sci Fi Fan 's logic, those buildings in KOTOR's cutscene are thousands of kilometers tall. Yet the visible floors on those towers being hit as well as the ones around them, constrain their possible heights, and the diameter of the explosions.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:27 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:By Sci Fi Fan 's logic, those buildings in KOTOR's cutscene are thousands of kilometers tall. Yet the visible floors on those towers being hit as well as the ones around them, constrain their possible heights, and the diameter of the explosions.
-Mike
Damn, Mike. I tried to warn you. I didn't want you to lose some neurons.
I'm sorry. I tried my best. Will you ever forgive me?

Mith
Starship Captain

Post by Mith » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:18 am

Wow...just...wow.

That in no way protects his 200 gigaton argument at all. Just because they have a limited amount of turbolasers means exactly jack shit. Because the ISDs are hardly what I would call your average cruisers when they're considered their own squadron line--and they're only called that because the admirals wanted more of them.

This only goes back to proving that people in Vs. Debates have no fucking clue what sort of firepower they're claiming for their ships. If that's what he calls a 200 gigaton bombardment, he should see what a megaton bombardment lookes like. Even for what looks to be a massive city, you'd only need a handful of bombs in the 15 megaton range to ensure near-total destruction.

And lol on the part of the people not being bothered about their planet being bombarded with kilotons. Even assuming those underground areas are safe enough, that doesn't change the fact that their city is now a raging inferno. You've destroyed their homes, business, and their way of life.

People on the net seem to forget just how devistating that sort of thing is.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:22 am

Bane wrote:Well vaporizing the asteroids is controversial between kilotons and megatons, depending on just what you accept. Vaporizing even a 20 meter asteroid in .0666 seconds require 1,000 terajoules or 15,062 terawatts. An 80 meter asteroid, however, requires 64.1 petajoules or 961 petawatts. The 100 meter asteroid, which I have seen for myself, would require 125 petajoules or 1.878 exawatts. Then add all the guns the ISD has and you easily have a single digit megaton to gigaton vessel.
The Hoth asteroids had a tendency to "vaporize" or literally light on fire and burn from low energy impacts with each other as I recall. I believe Mr.O made a thread about that here.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:54 am

So what is DrStrangelove talking about in post 200?
The movies are G canon, TCW contradicts ESB so they are noncanon too.
Is Dr.S honestly arguing that what is talked about as a tiny margin of error is a maximum out put for phasers?
And indictive of nothing. From all the evidence we have maximum power could be 60.1GW

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:32 am

Well, he was also saying that there was nothing to indicate the Federation had as much as a thousand ships earlier.

Never mind that they fielded more than a thousand starships in a single battle once. He looked right at the quote saying they had 1254 warships ready to go and stuck to his line.

Nowhereman10
Bridge Officer

Post by Nowhereman10 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:14 am

Hidey-hi's folks!

My first post here after lurking for so very long. On to the business at hand!
Lucky wrote:Is Dr.S honestly arguing that what is talked about as a tiny margin of error is a maximum out put for phasers?
The answer to your question is "yes". Some of them really do believe that, or conversely want others to believe that really is the case using a Wall of Ignorance type of argument. Repeating over and over again ad nauseum that 0.06 TW is the phaser's max output, while conveniently forgetting that wee little factoid from Geordi and Data... that insignifcant word they used in association with it called "variance".

Gotta love it.

Mith
Starship Captain

Post by Mith » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:25 am

Jedi Master Spock wrote:Well, he was also saying that there was nothing to indicate the Federation had as much as a thousand ships earlier.

Never mind that they fielded more than a thousand starships in a single battle once. He looked right at the quote saying they had 1254 warships ready to go and stuck to his line.
Strange is pretty much just trolling the thread for some reason. I don't even really know why. He seems less interested in an acutal debat and more in just tossing shit around.

Nor is Leo1's argument great either. His argument has failed repeatedly.

1) He claimed that the NCCs are not consecutive because real world navies such as Russia use random numbers. Except that not only is this not a Russian sci-fi, but Starfleet is clearly heavily influenced by the USN, even referencing heavily about two Naval United States ships called Enterprise. They even reference the damn NASA Enterprise and he still has the gull to try and claim that the registry method can't at all be the same.

2) He tried some bullshit argument where the registries could mean anything. Well, if that's true and the numbers are random, then why do older ships have smaller numbers and newer ones larger ones? His other examples are simply random uses of the registries. They amount to little sense and his argument about Jeffries original intent fails, unless he's claiming that the Constitution has about four different varations and the Galaxy class had over seventy variations when it was first registered.

3) The Shelby quote. By far his worst argument. He claimed that Shelby said it would take a year to bring the fleet back up to full strength, ie the loss of 39 ships. Yet when I point out that she said it would in fact, take less than a year and assuming all ships are build one at a time (as opposed to a more sane scheduel where ships probably take months or possibly years depending upon size, but due to a large industry, this is possible), that it would take roughly three months with his claim of 950+ ships per year.

He didn't like that and started arguing semantics, crying how Shelby must have meant something like six months if she was going to say that. Nevermind the fact that it was an off-the-cuff remark to a co-worker and not really some sort of deep discussion about ship production rates.

Someone else has mentioned that apparently a Brannon Braga quote of Starfleet having 800 to 1,200 or so ships I think, but I've yet to see it backed up. According to the guy who said it, he doesn't remember where said quote is.

Ah well.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:35 pm

The only real oddity of the registries is that there are so many Exelsior and Miranda classes running around with high registries - which neatly dovetails with the oddity of their continued presence. The obvious solution: It's a hull form that was produced again as successful for a given role, much like the D7 and BoP hulls used extensively by Klingons for an incredibly long period of time. EAS has a nice article on it.

Now, let's take for one moment Leo1's suggestion that the NCC numbers are actually XX-X-XX, production run number, type number within production, and hull number, and try to make it consistent with the registry list on Memory Alpha and Ex Astris Scientia (which may not be complete between the two of them, but cover 200-some NCC/NX registries).

First, we have a problem with the low-digit NCCs. That's a 4-5 digit format, and we started counting at "1" around the time of the Constitution class (1017). Assume the prior numbers make the same pattern - X-X-X, run, type, number. When we reach 325 and 330, though, we reach a problem - these are both Antares types. So we then have to assume it's X-XX, production series number with no typing.

The existence of NCC-189 implies the existence of 90 ships manufactured during production run 1 that began with NCC-100. If we work this through the whole series of canonically observed NCCs, we get a minimum of almost 7000 ships contracted. But what if there's a typing number in between? When we move to the four-digit sequence, if we try labelling X-X-XX, type, hull number, and production run, then we again run into a contradiction; the Constitution class uses 1-0, 1-5, 1-6, and 1-7, while Mirandas, Constellations, and the Soyuz class all share 1-9. So it has to still be XX-XX, where the first digit is a batch number of some kind, if it's that sort of system.

Now, around 3000 is the point where we might suspect a registry number scheme change to a system capable of accommodating gaps of entire thousands-series within a span of short decades due to cancelled contract series (perhaps 4000 and 5000 were entirely cancelled, along with 22000-25000). We know that Starfleet is still producing "keeper" ships - Constellations proved reliable enough to have an 80 year service lifetime without hull rebuilds. So we have three choices: (A) XX-X-XX, (B) A new count XX-XXX starting with 2 or 3, and (C) the same system, XXX-XX, with a sudden inexplicable expansion in batch number frequency. Our registry system could be changed at production class 2-XXX (with the Excelsior's NCC number then representing a total change) or 3-XXX.

We just can't fit a hull series number in there. It doesn't fit - we get both type I and type II errors. 61-9-XX includes a Saber and a Nebula, and that's far from the only example of different classes sharing three digits.

If we assume all registries are consistently XX-XXX (batch-number), our observed minimum contracted ships number rises to about 35000. If we assume there's a change at 2-XXX or 3-XXX or so, we get 34000. The batch numbers can be used to cut the total number of ships by up to an order of magnitude if you assume that absolutely no unobserved batch numbers were missed, but that's problematic. Our batch numbers with two-digit batches include 130-odd observed batches - with an average of less than two representatives per batch - or 50-odd batches with an average of 4 representatives per batch. This includes some apparently large batches we've only seen one representative of - 13XXX, 429XX, et cetera.

The truth is that registries don't require the UFP to have built 70,000-odd ships, but if you try to work with Leo1's suggestions and correct for actual data, you're looking at the order of having X0,000 NCCs assigned - somewhere in the tens-of-thousands order of magnitude.

The Dominion War is far more important - especially when we consider that the scope of Starfleet's operations make it difficult to assemble a fleet in a hurry. (Common pro-Wars claims to 1000c being fast would require eight years to go from one end of the Federation to the other - which means that you really need Starfleet to have around a million warships. Common DS9 examples run a couple months, but much of the fleet is operating outside Federation territory on exploration missions.) The fact that Starfleet had to counterbalance a force of 30,000 ships late in the war, even with help from Klingons and Romulans, when they at best could match the Dominion 1:2 due to their larger ships, really strongly suggests the Alliance was able to field 15,000+ ships against the Dominion. The Klingons were recovering from several other wars, the Federation had ships already spread out over the entire quadrant on various missions, and the Romulans really weren't able to field that much in comparison to the two greater powers - "The Die is Cast" shows us how badly enormous and expensive D'deridexes performed against Jem'Hadar ships in a straight fight.

These would also be issues in a war with the Empire; the Federation would only be able to field Dominion-War scale fleets in tactical actions; but the Federation has a bigger depth of backfield than it is being granted.
Mith wrote:Strange is pretty much just trolling the thread for some reason. I don't even really know why. He seems less interested in an acutal debat and more in just tossing shit around.
Then why didn't the moderator warn him? Isn't that against the SB.com rules?

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:57 pm

I did some analysis of Dominion-war-era Starfleet ship numbers. I based it on my estimate of 120 Galaxy-class ships being built - in end, I got 6 820 ships low, 17 050 medium and 34 000 ships high-end value.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:20 pm

Picard wrote:I did some analysis of Dominion-war-era Starfleet ship numbers. I based it on my estimate of 120 Galaxy-class ships being built - in end, I got 6 820 ships low, 17 050 medium and 34 000 ships high-end value.
That seems reasonable to me.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:25 am

Jedi Master Spock wrote:The truth is that registries don't require the UFP to have built 70,000-odd ships, but if you try to work with Leo1's suggestions and correct for actual data, you're looking at the order of having X0,000 NCCs assigned - somewhere in the tens-of-thousands order of magnitude.
TBH, I don't think Leo put more than ten seconds of thoughts in his example. His point was that it could be anything, so he just threw a silly example. However, he's indeed tried to twist some info.
But there are problems though. First, I agree with Nattuo that it's bad intelligence thought to give your enemy such a detailed information about your fleet count.
No matter how you slice and dice it, they can literally keep a registry of every ship met and knowing when one that's been disabled has returned or not, etc. It's quite absurd to deliver such information from free to any of your enemies.

The other problem is that it also makes big jumps per year. Do they really have production capabilities that are that high per year?

Another one: didn't a shuttle have its own NCC number? And didn't that shuttle belong to a ship that also had its own, exclusive, NCC numbers, differend from the shuttle?

Now, on the 39 ships, I liked the idea that their production rate to recover forces was as an addition to current schedules and rates.
"The Die is Cast" shows us how badly enormous and expensive D'deridexes performed against Jem'Hadar ships in a straight fight.
It's possible that those ships were specially fited for the planetary assault mission, and not meant to engage any enemy forces beyond a few defensive crafts at best. They counted on surprise more than anything else.
Mith wrote:Strange is pretty much just trolling the thread for some reason. I don't even really know why. He seems less interested in an acutal debat and more in just tossing shit around.
Then why didn't the moderator warn him? Isn't that against the SB.com rules?
DrS has been trolling several threads. He tried to pull some asinine shit in Stargate threads as well (the usual megajoule/gigajoule firepower claims for Ha'taks), and that quite seriously. It wasn't hard to debunk it, but he tried it in several threads.
Very few people still do such silly things. For a seasoned debater, it's just not excusable.
Please notice that he has joined SDN, and I don't recall having much problems with his ways until the summer of 2009 or so, but he seems to have really adopted the style of SDN rather quickly.
I'd advise staying clear of him until he gets better.