What's accepted SW canon?

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
KirkSkyWalker
Jedi Knight

What's accepted SW canon?

Post by KirkSkyWalker » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:23 pm

The G-canon is typically the only thing that's accepted, since any other policy requires proving a negative in terms of "as long as it doesn't contradict."

What's the policy here at SFJ?

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Re: What's accepted SW canon?

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:00 pm

Anything goes, as long as it is consistent with higher canon.
The ICS may be used for details on where power cells are on a speeder, but firepower examples are out because they fly in the face of the movies and TCW series, all above it in terms of canon hierarchy...

KirkSkyWalker
Jedi Knight

Post by KirkSkyWalker » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:23 pm

Praeothmin wrote:Anything goes, as long as it is consistent with higher canon.
Again, that's proving a negative with regard to its being in-consisent.
Lucas said it's a separate universe, and so it shall remain-- i.e. where Boba Fett's dead, and Anakin had no Queen-Tut Padawan.

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:39 pm

So why even ask if you just want to use your own definition?

Pretty sure it's accepted here that the person who starts the thread can set what can and can't be drawn from. So if you want to start a thread where the only acceptable examples are from KJA novels. You can do so.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:55 pm

KirkSkywalker wrote:Again, that's proving a negative with regard to its being in-consisent.
Lucas said it's a separate universe, and so it shall remain-- i.e. where Boba Fett's dead, and Anakin had no Queen-Tut Padawan.
Lucas's companies use the different Canon levels to separate everything, the movies being the highest level, or G-Canon, the TCW being second, or T-Canon, and most other works falling in the C-Canon.
But they are ALL canon...
Any information present in the lower Canon that does not contradict the highest is valid...
And if you did nay research, you'd find that the entire EU does not contradict G-Canon that much.
Point in fact, Boba Fett.
Lucas authorized his "resurrection", and since in the movies, we never saw him die, we have no "canon" proof he did indeed die in the Sarlacc, since preys were slowly digested "over a period of 1000 years"...

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:05 pm

KirkSkywalker wrote:

Actually, TCW is produced and in some cases written by George Lucas, who has said in interviews that the TCW CGI series is a legitimate part of his story. That's why Leland Chee placed it second only to the movies in the canon hierarchy (above C-canon, but below G-canon) , though technically according Lucas it is just about right up there with them.
-Mike

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:07 pm

The Dude wrote:So why even ask if you just want to use your own definition?

Pretty sure it's accepted here that the person who starts the thread can set what can and can't be drawn from. So if you want to start a thread where the only acceptable examples are from KJA novels. You can do so.
While someone could do that as part of a thread's OP, their credibility wouldn't be very high, unless they balanced it out by say using a Trek lower limits in thread as well, such as the numbers from the TNG TM.
-Mike

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:11 pm

Yeah, you should balance it out. But that wasn't really my point.

KirkSkyWalker
Jedi Knight

Post by KirkSkyWalker » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:48 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:
KirkSkywalker wrote:

Actually, TCW is produced and in some cases written by George Lucas, who has said in interviews that the TCW CGI series is a legitimate part of his story. That's why Leland Chee placed it second only to the movies in the canon hierarchy (above C-canon, but below G-canon) , though technically according Lucas it is just about right up there with them.
-Mike
It's not canon unless it's G-canon, unless JMS says so-- and even then only on this board, which is no different from SDN's having its own canon-policy that few share-- even Lucas himself, contrary to the words that Wong puts in his mouth.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:00 pm

It is canon until Lucas Licensing says it isn't...

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:03 pm

You understood that Praeothmin? I stared at that post for a good ten minutes and it still makes no sense.

KirkSkyWalker
Jedi Knight

Post by KirkSkyWalker » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:07 pm

Praeothmin wrote:It is canon until Lucas Licensing says it isn't...
C-canon.

You and Mike Wong.

I'm talking about canon for the purposes of our discussion here-- and I'm also talking about what JMS has said. Unless JMS says that anything but G-canon is valid, then it isn't.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:10 pm

KirkSkywalker wrote:
Praeothmin wrote:It is canon until Lucas Licensing says it isn't...
C-canon.

I'm talking about canon for the purposes of our discussion here-- and I'm also talking about what JMS has said. Unless JMS says that anything but G-canon is valid, then it isn't.
On this very site, JMS uses the EU in his SW analysis, and in debates as well, and only ignores or tries to rationalize the EU when it contradicts the highest canon, like the fighter's KT weapons...

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:42 pm

The Dude wrote:You understood that Praeothmin? I stared at that post for a good ten minutes and it still makes no sense.
I think he didn't go beyond "It's not canon unless it's G-canon, unless JMS says so--" ...

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:07 pm

Actually, I stopped at "It's not canon..." :)