SW Canon Quotes

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
Starship Captain

SW Canon Quotes

Post by 2046 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:56 am

I imagined a thread that serves as a storage and discussion area for new quotes. Here is one:

"Well, now I'm doing the, uh, Clone Wars animated TV series. I've always wanted -- I love television, I've had a great time in television, and, um, I love animation (been doing animation for years) and uh, it's combining those two things into something, and then being able to tell the story of the Clone Wars, which is sort of the missing link of the features, of what actually happened during the Clone Wars . . . exploring characters and have more fun and do it in the style of, sort of, Episode IV, without the uber-reality and drama of the Skywalker family."

- George Lucas, Flannelled One, 2008 - "Family Guy Presents: Blue Harvest" DVD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JYg84qH8w8

"Does George Lucas approve all your designs?"

"I don't think George looks at every single thing. He's definitely interested in new environments and new characters, but his focus is generally story. He's very into watching the final footage when it's assembled. As far as designs go he's given us a lot of leeway. He will request things but with us he's pretty hands off. There's been one or two last minute requests where it would be a case of talking to George to see what he wants and then making it happen in a very short space of time."

"What's George Lucas like to work with?"

"He's actually very nice. He's really sort of friendly and approachable and regular. The thing that strikes me about him is that he's very decisive. He knows exactly what it is that he wants and he has his own ideas. For example there's a new Separatist battle ship that's probably not going to show up until season four which George designed himself. We gave him options and he wasn't too keen on any of them. So he actually just got a biro and drew it and it actually worked out really well. It looks pretty cool."

"Do you refer to the original Star Wars movies for reference when designing The Clone Wars?"

"Constantly. One of the nice things about this job is there are the archives where the actual Star Wars props – when they're not on tour at museums or anything – are kept in a climate controlled barn that's about 10 minute's drive away. We'll email them and say we desperately need to look at object X and they're very nice about it. They let us go in and it's actually sorted out a few arguments.

Quite often now we use concept art from the original films or from the prequels. Stuff that was developed but didn't make it into any of the films. George will say, “Let's just use this,” and that applies to sets, ships, characters - you name it. There's huge amounts of artwork that people haven't seen and we'll pull something out of the folder and use it."

- Kilian Plunkett, TCW Lead Designer, Nov. 2010 - movies.sky.com, "Talking Clone Wars with Designer Kilian Plunkett"
http://movies.sky.com/kilian-plunkett-interview

Starship Captain

Re: SW Canon Quotes

Post by 2046 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:53 am

""This is how George has always envisioned the Mandalorians," says Supervising Director Dave Filoni. "Of course, people immediately think of the iconic Fett armor, because that's all we've had to go on for so many years; it's mysterious, and we've built up that mystique as fans. But Boba and Jango Fett aren't necessarily what I would consider accurate representatives of the Mando culture. They're bounty hunters and outlaws - totally rogue. If you go way back to the original concepts, the Mandalorians were a group of supercommando troops; it's only now that George is really bringing that to the screen. They're in the series because he wanted to define their culture, to explore the foundations of this warrior faction."

According to Filoni, the introduction of Mandalorians was something that had been discussed as early as the first season of The Clone Wars - although Lucas held off on approving the story arc until the series' second season, once the larger conflict had been more firmly established.

"This was a running joke among the crew early in the production," says Filoni. "A lot of people on the crew wanted to see the Mandalorians - especially our head writer, Henry Gilroy - but they were off-limits to us at the time. George definitely has a sense of pace, and of a natural order for Star Wars storytelling; plus, it's his universe, so we had to set aside our Mando ideas for the time being. Ultimately, though, he came back around and gave us his blueprint for how he wanted to see the Mandalorian culture represented, which is great because they bring so much to the conflict.""

- Dave Filoni, TCW Supervising Director, Jan. 2010 - "At Long Last, The Mysterious Mandalorians Are Revealed in an All-New Episode of STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS", iesb.net

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=co ... &Itemid=71

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:50 am

*deleted by poster*
Last edited by Picard on Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:51 pm

I was thinking new quotes, but whatever.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:03 pm

I think some mod can delete my post, then.

BTW, sorry for that, I misread OP (missed "new" part).