Star Wars: Canon, the EU, and the Rampaging Lucas

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: Star Wars: Canon, the EU, and the Rampaging Lucas

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:18 pm

The problem with DE is that Palpatine having such uber Force powers negates everything seen in the OT as well as the PT since anyone with that kind of power certainly does not need a Death Star, and the trap laid at the end of RoTJ for the Rebels only makes him look stupid for not wiping out the entire Rebel fleet at Endor with the wave of a hand, which would most certainly have pushed Luke over to the Dark Side.
-Mike

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:38 pm

So it's invalid.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:33 pm

Picard wrote:So it's invalid.
I should think so

User1602
Redshirt

Post by User1602 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:02 am

Not to mention how he couldn't even beat Mace Windu, if he could throw a Force Storm at him instead of lightning which could be reflectd back at him by a lightsaber.
That's like how Superman could go the speed of light but couldn't catch a couple missiles.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:21 am

that depends on which superman you're talking about. and which palpatine.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:23 am

for instance golden age supes could go to lightspeed instantaneously, whereas modern age supes couldn't even get near that speed last time i bothered to read superman. for god's sake, he has to wear a spacesuit, where golden age supes flew between planets at a whim. movie supes takes some time to get anywhere near top speed. i've never understood how people don't get that. it's clearly shown.

User1602
Redshirt

Post by User1602 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:56 am

There's very little in the books that's consistent with the films, I don't see how anyone can say they're the same universe.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:59 pm

Actually, there's a lot that is consistent with the films, the problem is that most Warsies will only quote the more powerful feats and ignore the lower ones, such as Caamas being completely destroyed by 3 ISDs while Darksaber's HTLs barely KT effects being ignored by the same people...

User1602
Redshirt

Post by User1602 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:05 am

Praeothmin wrote:Actually, there's a lot that is consistent with the films, the problem is that most Warsies will only quote the more powerful feats

which are not consistent with the movies. If Obi-wan or Palpatine can force-push with 100 foot-pounds, and in the books they can do 101, then that's inconsistent.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:24 am

mojo wrote:for instance golden age supes could go to lightspeed instantaneously, whereas modern age supes couldn't even get near that speed last time i bothered to read superman. for god's sake, he has to wear a spacesuit, where golden age supes flew between planets at a whim. movie supes takes some time to get anywhere near top speed. i've never understood how people don't get that. it's clearly shown.
actually current supes is capable of a few hundred times ftl..to about a thousand times ftl..he used to be just under lightspeed or there abouts..but got a bit stronger over the years due to his body absorbing more and storing more solar energy..and having flown through a few stars over the last decade or so...he's still pretty slow by DC standards

KC superman (an alt future version of himself) is how ever about as fast as Gladiator from marvel which is "on panel I cross ten galaxies in six seconds" speed and probably about as strong..so "I can output shock waves that mass scatter planets just by flexing my biceps" strong

our mainstream supes isn't any where near that strong mind you.he can barely move the moon on his own with out pulling muscles and wrecking his back but he's gained a wolverine like healing factor..and has become basically a super powered Rocky Balboa..in recent years..takes his beatings..hard and endures to win

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:34 am

the first time i heard that supes had flown through a star to turbo-charge his powers, i instantly thought of the warsie argument against the 'lasers won't even penetrate the navigational shields' trek quote.
a: today i discovered that i am invulnerable to butterflies.
b: wh.. what?
a: a butterfly in flight struck me, and i am unharmed. therefore, i am invulnerable to butterflies.
b: but uh, what if like ten million butterflies all struck you at once? they would weigh thousands of pounds, altogether. you'd be crushed.
a: I AM INVULNERABLE TO BUTTERFLIES!
yes, supes gets his power from the yellow sun. but the sun itself is just a huge ball of billions of nuclear explosions going off all at once, isn't it? and in the dark knight returns, supes was just a living skeleton with all his skin and muscles burned away after he was hit by just one. wouldn't he be just instantly ripped into atoms if he tried that?
COMIC BOOK LOGIC!

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:09 pm

TrekPhilosopher wrote:
Praeothmin wrote:Actually, there's a lot that is consistent with the films, the problem is that most Warsies will only quote the more powerful feats

which are not consistent with the movies. If Obi-wan or Palpatine can force-push with 100 foot-pounds, and in the books they can do 101, then that's inconsistent.
No, that's called a margin of error, and since both figures are in the same ballpark, they can both be valid...

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:53 pm

If they can move 101 lbd, they can obviously more 100 lbd.

User1604
Redshirt

Post by User1604 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:25 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:If they can move 101 lbd, they can obviously more 100 lbd.
According to Yoda in TESB, there's technically no limit except in the Jedi's mind.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:44 am

Except we clearly see in AoTC and RoTS, as well as various TCW episodes that Yoda and other high-powered Force users do show signs or strain, or require intense focus and concentration to the exclusion of almost all else when performing these feats.
-Mike