Star Wars: Canon, the EU, and the Rampaging Lucas

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
Picard
Starship Captain

Re: Star Wars: Canon, the EU, and the Rampaging Lucas

Post by Picard » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:11 am

Which still qualifies as "limit in one's mind".

User1607
Candidate

Post by User1607 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:02 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:Except we clearly see in AoTC and RoTS, as well as various TCW episodes that Yoda and other high-powered Force users do show signs or strain, or require intense focus and concentration to the exclusion of almost all else when performing these feats.
-Mike
We sure don't see them moving objects bigger than an X-wing, EVER. Senate-seats, pipes, water-heaters; that's about it. Yoda didn't throw any starships around in the Geonosis-battle.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:57 am

Unless you count Galen Marek bringin down the ISD in TFU. But if you mean stationary objects, then yes, the largest stationary object ever moved was an X-Wing.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:54 pm

I'm of the opinion that the whole Galen Marek thing should be considered non-canon since it runs so completely contrary to anything even the most allegedly powerful Force users of the movies have ever been shown to do. As for defining the largest items moved, the rocks and column that Dooku and Yoda tossed around in AoTC are the biggest since I doubt seriously that an X-Wing starfighter has anything like that kind of density, and Dooku had to actually rip those chunks of rock out of the ceiling, which in turn requires an enourmous application of mechanical work.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:33 pm

Except GL said it was canon and part of the movie continuity...

Meh... :)

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:22 pm

Hey, I got the explanation. It's lame, you'll love it.
Marek hacked the mind of the pilot.
Marek hacked the engines of the ship.
Marek shut down the antigravity.
If GL can pull such BS over his own license just to sell games, I'm getting Boba Fett alive.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:10 am

why does it instantly have to be 'just to sell games'? is there really no doubt in your mind that it can't possibly be that he just had a cool idea and wanted to throw it out there? give me a break. i find it very difficult to believe that george lucas is all that concerned about money at this point anyway. once you have infinite money, what the hell do you care about more money? there's a great quote from bill gates just after microsoft went public, when a journalist asked how he would react if his stock suddenly decreased by half or three quarters in worth. he said, 'what do i care? i have infinite money. i would still eat the same hamburger.'

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:43 pm

mojo wrote:why does it instantly have to be 'just to sell games'? is there really no doubt in your mind that it can't possibly be that he just had a cool idea and wanted to throw it out there? give me a break.
A cool idea is not impressive. All games are generally based on at least one cool idea.
It's even less impressive when it doesn't even seem coherent with formerly established material (i.e., Force powers).
And you're talking about the dude who brought us Ashoka. A total nonsense.
i find it very difficult to believe that george lucas is all that concerned about money at this point anyway. once you have infinite money, what the hell do you care about more money? there's a great quote from bill gates just after microsoft went public, when a journalist asked how he would react if his stock suddenly decreased by half or three quarters in worth. he said, 'what do i care? i have infinite money. i would still eat the same hamburger.'
Billionaires are good at one thing, at least, it's making money, and they tend to like that.
It's not just the billionaire per se, but the business behind it. I wouldn't have problems agreeing with you if the prequels had not been such glaring merchandising powerhouse.
Gates is very rich, and yet it didn't stop him from trying to increase his monopoly over the world.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:34 am

Praeothmin wrote:Except GL said it was canon and part of the movie continuity...

Meh... :)
Maybe the general storyline is canon, but that particular cutscene does not mesh with the higher movie canon and continuity.
-Mike

User1603
Candidate

Post by User1603 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:25 am

this is out of hand imo. gl said it's canon. it's canon. you sound like sdn.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:53 am

notmojo wrote:this is out of hand imo. gl said it's canon. it's canon. you sound like sdn.
Sound like not mojo joo. oo

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:57 am

it's just old already. why is there even a need to discuss it? this isn't like the ics, where at least i could sort of get behind what you were saying. we're talking about a DIRECT QUOTE. arguing it is like SDN arguing with karen traviss, or, you know, like every single time THEY try to twist lucas's words around to help THEIR position. i understand that you don't like it. i understand why. even I think it's retarded that he pulled an isd out of the sky. but it happened, so let's just move on already. it's not like the whole debate is going to come down to jedi power levels anyway.

Enterprise E
Bridge Officer

Post by Enterprise E » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:30 pm

There may be a way we can put this all to rest. How powerful are Vader and Palpatine in this game? Now I haven't played the game, so I have no idea how powerful Vader and Palpatine are in the game so I'd need someone who has played to tell me how strong they are. If they're on the level of Galen Marek, rather than curbstomped with contemptuous ease by him, given their respective power levels, then i think that we can disregard the feat of pulling down the Star Destroyer as something made by the game, or game mechanics, or something else since we have never seen anything anywhere close to that from either of the characters in the movies, the highest level of canon there is. Heck, even Palpatine's power in Dark Empire could theoretically be justified since he had six years to train exclusively on using the force, rather than worry about running the Empire. It's a huge leap, but still, after six years of intense training, I could see Palpatine getting stronger. If Vader had Galen Marek's level of power, then there would have not even been a fight with Luke either film, regardless of his state of mind. Vader would have won, pure and simple, without even having to really hurt Luke in the process. Yet Luke was clearly holding his own to beating Vader in Return of the Jedi, even when he was doing his best not to hurt Vader. And the difference between Luke and Vader in The Empire Strikes Back was not so great as to be insurmountable. After all, Luke got a couple good hits in on Vader in that fight.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:41 pm

Marek did quite a number on both Vader and Palpy. The only reason he died was because he sacrificed himself to let the Rebels get away, rather than kill Palpy and turn to the Dark Side.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:45 pm

Vader got smashed through a starships wall bit much more then his canon self