Damn - SW.com Forum to be Vaporized

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
Starship Captain

Damn - SW.com Forum to be Vaporized

Post by 2046 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:27 am

http://forums.starwars.com/ann.jspa?annID=3

Friday the SW.com forums will cease to exist. They also don't seem to be in existence in web.archive.org form, meaning that we're about to lose a great deal of primary-source text.

And I'll bet a dollar it'll take foes no time to start lying about what was said on there if it truly does vanish.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: Damn - SW.com Forum to be Vaporized

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:53 pm

2046 wrote:http://forums.starwars.com/ann.jspa?annID=3

Friday the SW.com forums will cease to exist. They also don't seem to be in existence in web.archive.org form, meaning that we're about to lose a great deal of primary-source text.

And I'll bet a dollar it'll take foes no time to start lying about what was said on there if it truly does vanish.
Well then, if you think there are some pages to save, you'll probably want to archive them on your own, perhaps with some PDFizer or something of the same vein.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:52 am

I already got all of my pertinent conversations, just so as to avoid the whole "Darkstar insulted Chee so Chee called Darkstar a dirty rotten bastard on SW.com!" nonsense they're always trying to spew. I still have to make sure I have all the CanonWars quote pages backed up, but it looks like they've already jacked up the old system of links anyway.

The threads, for instance, now read in reverse chronological order, and the old links already don't work.

Ugh.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:13 am

And poof, it's gone.

I got most of the pertinent stuff last night, but when I tried loading a page this afternoon I got their custom 404. I even found a couple of ancillary things I'd missed before, since I literally had to dig around to find some of the quoted posts since the old linking patterns were all jacked up

(One example is rather amusing, being one where an SDN'er was accused of arguing with Chee and getting hostile about the claim . . . presumably that was the origin of their trying to stick that claim on me, since they're of the Alinsky school where any effective tactic is to be applied, facts be damned.)

However, I did also get a third-party zip file of some of the posts that were being saved. User Tm_T at Wookieepedia snatched a bunch of them and posted the link there, so I have that zip file in addition to whatever I grabbed. Hopefully between the two everything of value is preserved.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:16 am

2046 wrote:And poof, it's gone.

I got most of the pertinent stuff last night, but when I tried loading a page this afternoon I got their custom 404. I even found a couple of ancillary things I'd missed before, since I literally had to dig around to find some of the quoted posts since the old linking patterns were all jacked up

(One example is rather amusing, being one where an SDN'er was accused of arguing with Chee and getting hostile about the claim . . . presumably that was the origin of their trying to stick that claim on me, since they're of the Alinsky school where any effective tactic is to be applied, facts be damned.)

However, I did also get a third-party zip file of some of the posts that were being saved. User Tm_T at Wookieepedia snatched a bunch of them and posted the link there, so I have that zip file in addition to whatever I grabbed. Hopefully between the two everything of value is preserved.
As someone who never used the site what are we talking about as I have no idea what was there?

What exactly is the sort of things being lost?

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:16 pm

The StarWars.com forum, in addition to being just a forum for general users, also featured "VIP" users, which included artists, crew, occasional cast members, and lots of folks from Licensing and licensees.

It was a treasure trove of information about Star Wars, from pre-release information to questions and answers about old material. EU fans loved it because there was a ton of information about retcon concepts for the ever-changing EU continuity. Some of the forum members even got published in ancillary materials.

But for me, it was probably among the best single sources of quotes regarding canon policy data. Just skim through the quote listings on Star Wars canon at CanonWars.com and you'll see frequent listings sourced from the SW.com forums.

I don't know why they felt that it just needed to be deleted rather than left read-only, but oh well. I feel certain there's a ton of material that I simply never got a chance to see.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:56 am

I'd rather know why they thought it needed to be closed. Was there a need for a wholly different board system?