George Lucas' New Ruling on TCW's Canon Status

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Re: George Lucas' New Ruling on TCW's Canon Status

Post by Praeothmin » Wed May 02, 2012 12:41 pm

the atom wrote:Quite clearly what?
Self-exploding asteroids...
Evidence of this 'bad scaling' please. Not sure how the burden of proof works around here, but it's my suspicion that it functions much like most other sites (I'd hope anyways).
Ask and ye shall receive...
Low level? That asteroid looked pretty damn huge to me. But please, do provide your calculations and/or sources regarding kinetic energy of the asteroid.
As far as scaling is concerned, here you can see the asteroids coming towards the ISD's tower, and it seems half again larger than the Shield Domes, which have been scaled at 40 meters...
So, about 70 meters or so...

If it's pure Iron, and we use a solid form instead of the normal loose aggregation that collison formed asteroids would be:

Iron density : pure iron is 7870 kg/m³
Volume of 70 meter asteroid = 179 594.38 m³ or 1.7959e+5
Mass of asteroid = 7874 kg/m³ x 179 594.38 m³ = 1,414,126,148.12 kg
If the asteroid is pure Nickel, then mass is = 8908 kg/m³ x 179 594.38 m³ = 1,599,826,737.04 kg
Kinetic energy formula is = 1/2 mv2

TESB asteroid = 70 meter diameter
Highest estimated speeds based on size and visuals = 1km/s
Calculated highest possible KE for Iron = 706706325000000 Joules, or 168.99 KT.
Calculated highest possible KE for Nickel = 799913368520000 Joules, or 191.18 KT.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed May 02, 2012 5:10 pm

the atom wrote:Actually it was drawn out by dribbling mental patients who's brains were obviously overloaded by the pretty flashes, and were thus totally incapable of noticing the many details that make the whole argument fall apart. You know, important ones. Like the fact that nearly every single asteroid in that field (including the many that were vaporized by the Star Destroyer) was covered in pockmarks and craters from previous collisions, or that the vast majority showed no reaction to collisions or weapons fire.
The vast majority of what? We didn't see that many asteroids actually crossing the path of energy bolts.
Heck, if you want to go down that route, with those outdated VFX, we didn't see many bolts hitting the large asteroids actually producing any effect, despite the novelization telling the reader that the TIEs were shooting some convincingly threatening fire.
Perhaps we can ignore the whole asteroid sequence because the effects aren't convincing and much realistic at all?

User1663
Padawan

Post by User1663 » Sat May 12, 2012 6:04 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:The vast majority of what? We didn't see that many asteroids actually crossing the path of energy bolts.
Why does it have to be about energy bolts? If you're going to make the argument that each and every asteroid in that field dramatically explodes with so much as a bump, then you're going to need to look at each and every single impact. One thing I noticed you kinda skipped on in your little analysis that Praeothmin linked to was that most of the asteroids in that field were covered in craters, indicating they had survived previous multiple previous impacts (oh, and this includes the asteroids that were struck by turbolasers).
Heck, if you want to go down that route, with those outdated VFX, we didn't see many bolts hitting the large asteroids actually producing any effect, despite the novelization telling the reader that the TIEs were shooting some convincingly threatening fire.
Well okay? A few megajoules aren't going to be blasting apart big nickel-iron asteroids, so I think I'm fine with that.
Perhaps we can ignore the whole asteroid sequence because the effects aren't convincing and much realistic at all?
LOL. They're much more realistic and convincing then the exaggerated and cartoonish CGI seen in TCW, but I don't see that stopping you or anyone else from deriving firepower calculations based on that.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sun May 13, 2012 11:35 am

the atom wrote: LOL. They're much more realistic and convincing then the exaggerated and cartoonish CGI seen in TCW, but I don't see that stopping you or anyone else from deriving firepower calculations based on that.
And so we're back to using self-exploding asteroids as a minimum firepower scaling?
Last edited by Praeothmin on Mon May 14, 2012 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Mon May 14, 2012 2:41 am

HOLY SHIT

IT'S THE SAME OLD FUCKING ARGUMENT

AGAIN

TheRainKing777
Bridge Officer

Post by TheRainKing777 » Wed May 16, 2012 5:59 am

Isn't it at the very least -possible- that these asteroids were put there by some nefarious force eons before this particular event happened because through some force-based clairvoyance a jedi or sith WANTED them to get through the asteroids and for their pursuers to die? C'mon people, have you SEEN the movies?!

User1663
Padawan

Post by User1663 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:53 pm

mojo wrote:HOLY SHIT

IT'S THE SAME OLD FUCKING ARGUMENT

AGAIN
I'm sorry were you having a bad day?

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:37 am

not until you posted. i accept your apology.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:11 pm

the atom wrote: Why does it have to be about energy bolts? If you're going to make the argument that each and every asteroid in that field dramatically explodes with so much as a bump, then you're going to need to look at each and every single impact. One thing I noticed you kinda skipped on in your little analysis that Praeothmin linked to was that most of the asteroids in that field were covered in craters, indicating they had survived previous multiple previous impacts (oh, and this includes the asteroids that were struck by turbolasers).
Oh and that includes the asteroids that exploded on their own.
The only possible explanation being that their instability, as their capacity to explode like bombs, is due to the presence of elements which weren't there before. A decay of some sort would explain it.
It could be that what triggers the explosion has more to do with momentum than thermal transfer.
Well okay? A few megajoules aren't going to be blasting apart big nickel-iron asteroids, so I think I'm fine with that.
They're going to produce noticeable effects no matter what so you should certainly not be okay with that.
LOL. They're much more realistic and convincing then the exaggerated and cartoonish CGI seen in TCW, but I don't see that stopping you or anyone else from deriving firepower calculations based on that.
Stop dodging the issue. The later being even less realistic doesn't mean the former suddenly is. Besides, TCWS art was clearly made not to be realistic. There's a quote about that, possibly straight from Lucas' mouth.

User1663
Padawan

Post by User1663 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:25 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote: Oh and that includes the asteroids that exploded on their own.
The only possible explanation being that their instability, as their capacity to explode like bombs, is due to the presence of elements which weren't there before. A decay of some sort would explain it.
It could be that what triggers the explosion has more to do with momentum than thermal transfer.
Uh okay? Even if you were right, there's still the fact that the majority of asteroids affected by impacts and weapons fire did not display similar effects.
They're going to produce noticeable effects no matter what so you should certainly not be okay with that.
Why? I don't care about TIE fighters and I've certainly never argued super-biggatons for them (In fact I think it's rather silly).
Stop dodging the issue. The later being even less realistic doesn't mean the former suddenly is. Besides, TCWS art was clearly made not to be realistic. There's a quote about that, possibly straight from Lucas' mouth.
So in other words, the piddly weapon effects in TCW do not invalidate any of the material often used in the EU correct? ;)

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:12 am

the atom wrote:
Why? I don't care about TIE fighters and I've certainly never argued super-biggatons for them (In fact I think it's rather silly).
They have to be able to threaten large capital ships with their weapons because they do in the movies.

Mr.O just doesn't like the art style of SW:TCW CGI series. It's very true to the movies, and boast the highest on screen showing of firepower outside of C-canon. The electron proton bomb. It actually has nuke like effects.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:57 pm

the atom wrote:
So in other words, the piddly weapon effects in TCW do not invalidate any of the material often used in the EU correct? ;)
Actually, they would, being of higher Canon, but if you prefer, use the pidly weapons effects in AotC or RotS instead... :)

TheRainKing777
Bridge Officer

Post by TheRainKing777 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:30 pm

I thought that Data was an android. I also heard somewhere that Jada Pinkett Smith is gonna play Leia in the reboot.