George Lucas' New Ruling on TCW's Canon Status

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
General Donner
Bridge Officer

Re: George Lucas' New Ruling on TCW's Canon Status

Post by General Donner » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:38 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:"This is Star Wars, and I don’t make a distinction between [Clone Wars] and the films," Lucas said in an interview released by SciFiNow - a science-fiction enthusiast magazine based in the UK, seemingly implying that the events of Clone Wars are top canon, which makes some sense considering how closely Lucas himself has been working on the series.
-Mike
Right, Lucas is intentionally out to ruin the franchise. Breaking news at twelve.

I'm just glad I no longer buy any SW books, comics, videogames, nada. No more money down that drain.

The one hilarious thing about that retarded cartoon has been watching the SDN warsies cringe whenever it outdoes itself in stupidity, and/or minimalism. Unfortunately, me being a former SW fan (still with some withdrawal symptoms), it makes me cringe almost as bad.

Though weirdly enough, some SDN people (even VS fans) seem to love it. Then again, they're usually the same people who rabidly defend Lucas in any and all threads and think the prequel films were artistic masterpieces ... so I guess it shouldn't be that surprising after all.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:03 pm

I don't think that prequels are artistic masterpieces, but I don't think they are as bad as people usually say... althought Jar Jar Binks more than compensates for that. Get him assimilated by Borg and / or cloned, and you have one thing that can drive Q to suicide.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:05 am

I like TCW, because Anakin isn't a total whiny twit in it when compared to the prequels, but then again, I don't take SW so seriously...
Or ST, for that matter...

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:30 am

Praeothmin wrote:I like TCW, because Anakin isn't a total whiny twit in it when compared to the prequels, but then again, I don't take SW so seriously...
He may not be whiny, but he's still as dense as a lead brick.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:04 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:
Praeothmin wrote:I like TCW, because Anakin isn't a total whiny twit in it when compared to the prequels, but then again, I don't take SW so seriously...
He may not be whiny, but he's still as dense as a lead brick.
-Mike
But he acts more like a man, and more importantly, like a leader, and to me, I find the tale of that man, turning to the dark side, more interesting than the prequels' Whi-nakin...

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:51 pm

i have to admit Scorpious voicing Tarkin is pretty boss (assuming pygram returned) and Mace Windu and Yoda are as awesome as ever so I can't complain then again I've always enjoyed starwars for the story and hate all the technical aspects of it with a passion, I've never been impressed by the tech level shown in the films so I went in not having any illusions of seeing any ICS level anything.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:47 am

Well I certainly enjoy TCW and don't see its inclusion as "True Star Wars" as ruining the franchise. Maybe its a tad more childish than some supposed Star Wars is but to me its popcorn entertainment same as the original trilogy. Something I can turn my brain off to, sit back and enjoy the spectacle.

Plus the Clones rule! The best part of the show is watching them kick Clanker butt.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:52 am

Honestly, in Tarkin's cameo appearance in TCW, I was really hoping that we'd get to see better leadership and tactical/strategic skills than what we saw. It helps to reinforce why this guy got the job of building the Galactic Empire's most powerful terror and killing machine, and not just that Anakin happened to agree with his political views.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:20 pm

sonofccn wrote:Well I certainly enjoy TCW and don't see its inclusion as "True Star Wars" as ruining the franchise. Maybe its a tad more childish than some supposed Star Wars is but to me its popcorn entertainment same as the original trilogy. Something I can turn my brain off to, sit back and enjoy the spectacle.

Plus the Clones rule! The best part of the show is watching them kick Clanker butt.
Dunno. If at least the bots were as good at T-800s, then I'd really praise every single stupid tin head rolling, but B1s and random varieties...

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:20 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:Honestly, in Tarkin's cameo appearance in TCW, I was really hoping that we'd get to see better leadership and tactical/strategic skills than what we saw. It helps to reinforce why this guy got the job of building the Galactic Empire's most powerful terror and killing machine, and not just that Anakin happened to agree with his political views.
-Mike

We already saw how people get jobs in the Empire. By kissing up boss' a**, not by being competent. Ozzel was comically stupid, but I don't think Piett was much better either.

KSW
Bridge Officer

Post by KSW » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:01 pm

Nowhereman10 wrote:I just have to comment here that poor Leeland Chee must rip his hair out every time George Lucas says something like this in an interview. >:]
The Holocron doesn't say what's canon, it just prevents duplication IIRC.

User1663
Padawan

Post by User1663 » Tue May 01, 2012 12:54 am

Praeothmin wrote:
Picard wrote:I'd say that it's about story, since a cartoon can't really compare with CGI from movies.
Again, AotC and RotS show us weapons' effects comparable to TCW, so the "cartoon" CGI are not to be ignored because they are part of an animated show...
Lucas has actually talked about this once or twice (I have no idea where I saw the quote) and I'm pretty sure he does in fact say the CGI is not meant to be realistic to any degree.

But seeing as this discussion is obviously intended for chortling about the laughable firepower often presented presented (which is silly for a great many reasons by itself), I'd like to remind people yet again that there's still the TESB asteroid which is about as clear cut as it gets (unless of course one is the sort to take the special bus down mental deficiency lane and argue the 'nitroglycerin asteroids!' line of thought...)

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue May 01, 2012 12:00 pm

the atom wrote:
Praeothmin wrote:
Picard wrote:I'd say that it's about story, since a cartoon can't really compare with CGI from movies.
Again, AotC and RotS show us weapons' effects comparable to TCW, so the "cartoon" CGI are not to be ignored because they are part of an animated show...
Lucas has actually talked about this once or twice (I have no idea where I saw the quote) and I'm pretty sure he does in fact say the CGI is not meant to be realistic to any degree.

But seeing as this discussion is obviously intended for chortling about the laughable firepower often presented presented (which is silly for a great many reasons by itself), I'd like to remind people yet again that there's still the TESB asteroid which is about as clear cut as it gets (unless of course one is the sort to take the special bus down mental deficiency lane and argue the 'nitroglycerin asteroids!' line of thought...)
Too bad this lane was drawn by the movie and ignored for decades by those who championed the super yields.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue May 01, 2012 12:26 pm

the atom wrote:(unless of course one is the sort to take the special bus down mental deficiency lane and argue the 'nitroglycerin asteroids!' line of thought...)
Or you could go down the "super deficient lane" and try to ignore it even though it has been shown quite clearly...
Or you could do bad scaling jobs on the asteroid sizes to boost the minimum firepower calcs...
Or ignore that ships supposed to tank "DA GIGATONZZZZZZ" can't even take a low-level impactor...

User1663
Padawan

Post by User1663 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:23 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Too bad this lane was drawn by the movie and ignored for decades by those who championed the super yields.
Actually it was drawn out by dribbling mental patients who's brains were obviously overloaded by the pretty flashes, and were thus totally incapable of noticing the many details that make the whole argument fall apart. You know, important ones. Like the fact that nearly every single asteroid in that field (including the many that were vaporized by the Star Destroyer) was covered in pockmarks and craters from previous collisions, or that the vast majority showed no reaction to collisions or weapons fire.
Praeothmin wrote:Or you could go down the "super deficient lane" and try to ignore it even though it has been shown quite clearly...
Quite clearly what?
Or you could do bad scaling jobs on the asteroid sizes to boost the minimum firepower calcs...
Evidence of this 'bad scaling' please. Not sure how the burden of proof works around here, but it's my suspicion that it functions much like most other sites (I'd hope anyways).
Or ignore that ships supposed to tank "DA GIGATONZZZZZZ" can't even take a low level impactor...
Low level? That asteroid looked pretty damn huge to me. But please, do provide your calculations and/or sources regarding kinetic energy of the asteroid.