The old starwars.com databank

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
Lucky
Jedi Master

The old starwars.com databank

Post by Lucky » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:52 pm

What is the canon level of the old Starwars.com databank? I keep finding links to archived pages at Wookiepedia.

http://web.archive.org/web/201003260722 ... index.html

Starship Captain

Re: The old starwars.com databank

Post by 2046 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:12 pm

Zilch. Even less now that it's gone.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:23 pm

2046 wrote:Zilch. Even less now that it's gone.
It's not gone. It is stored at web.archive.org.

No quotes, or places to look for quotes?

Your logic seems to argue that any book that is out of print has no standing in Star Wars canon?

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:24 pm

As far as I know, no books hav standing in SW canon. Unless George Lucas said something recently...?

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:35 pm

Picard wrote:As far as I know, no books hav standing in SW canon. Unless George Lucas said something recently...?
GL had his minions create the GTCSN system.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:52 pm

Lucky wrote:
2046 wrote:Zilch. Even less now that it's gone.
It's not gone. It is stored at web.archive.org.

No quotes, or places to look for quotes?

Your logic seems to argue that any book that is out of print has no standing in Star Wars canon?
1. That was a joke. You cannot go below zero, which is what "zilch" is. Even the use of "zilch" rather than "zero" or "none" was for flippancy, and hence jest . . . for all the good it did.

2. You are a total killjoy for making me explain the joke. It wasn't even a grand attempt at humor, just having a little fun with it, and you've killed it utterly. I hate you and everything you stand for. (Please note: that, too, is in jest.)

3. The databank is "gone" as in "removed from StarWars.com". As in, that ship has been abandoned. Just because another website has its rusted hulk doesn't mean that it is somehow un-removed. It is gone. Grave-digging is irrelevant in this context.

4. You are a total killjoy for asking me to explain that, though I suppose having analogies for future use is helpful.

5. Put simply, there never was and never has been any suggestion on the part of anyone that the old website's databank had any validity whatsoever. While I myself was known to point out the fact that it separated movie and EU data, which I pointed out for kicks (please refer to #2, here), that fact was not sufficient to serve as any statement on canonicity.

More to the point, I didn't consider the databank to have any validity and neither did any other serious canon researcher, because there was no support for that contention that I am aware of. If you want to seek out a statement from Chee supporting its canonicity in the Licensing canon you may certainly do so, but on that topic I am not a faeces dispensary. (Please refer to #2 and note that the previous statement means I do not give a crap about Chee's opinion on the databank, because even if he says it was brought to man from on high it is irrelevant to the Lucas canon.)

Similarly, I recently pointed out that the removal of the databank means that only Lucas-canon material is on the site's new databanky-thing. While I might point that out for kicks, that is also, in and of itself, not sufficient to serve as a statement on canon.

6. You forced a one-line answer to turn into a multi-point multi-paragraph diatribe. I am now reconsidering the jesting noted in #2. (Kidding. Sorta. Ass. :-) )

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:58 pm

Lucky wrote:
Picard wrote:As far as I know, no books hav standing in SW canon. Unless George Lucas said something recently...?
GL had his minions create the GTCSN system.
I was under impression that they created it and he simply turned a blind eye not to anger fans. It's lincensing system, after all, not canonicity one.