Stupid Things Wanking Halo Fanboys Say

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
User1652
Padawan

Stupid Things Wanking Halo Fanboys Say

Post by User1652 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:42 pm

I would like to know. What are some of the stupidest arguments that you have heard Halo fanboys say when putting Halo in a vs battle.

Picard
Starship Captain

Re: Stupid Things Wanking Halo Fanboys Say

Post by Picard » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:40 am

Terrrrraton-level MAC on ship explicitly powered by fusion. Same as Star Wanks, really.

EDIT:
And let's not forget fusion bomb capable of blowing off large chunk of planet despite being detonated in vacuum. That in itself may not be so stupid - you just need really big bomb - but once you read description of how damn thing is supposed to work...

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:39 pm

Well, back when there were few books and Reach wasn't out, there were many extravagant claims, and the teratons of firepower is one of them. The thousands of gees of accelerations for a wide variety of UNSC ships is of the same vein. Or the IoA's reactor going mass-critical and destroying the Halo -a claim that I had completely ripped apart when discussing against people like Monster104 at SBC- and other silly things.
On a lesser end, Forerunners were wanked up (although made considerably more stupid than ever), and mutation rates for the Flood were increased since Halo 3. I haven't verified the rates in other games though. What I noticed was that the mutation rates were only observed in game (about 5 seconds iirc and completely idiotic), as a game mechanics, while the latest cutscene showing a mutation was from Halo 2 and never demonstrated that kind of mutation speed. Since cutscenes trumped all, the super duper mutation rates were easily ignored, using that logic.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:39 pm

Correct. But Halo is quite inconsistent. At least Star Trek has excuse for it, and you can solve MOST inconsistencies by logic.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:58 pm

Picard wrote:Correct. But Halo is quite inconsistent. At least Star Trek has excuse for it, and you can solve MOST inconsistencies by logic.
In Halo the inconsistencies were brought in by lower canon material: The Fall of Reach and the Halo Encyclopedia for example. The first one, because it told the story of a planet being stripped off of its atmosphere (while providing low end firepower to MACs). The second, for many things, including silly short ranges for firearms iirc, and the troutatons for the big cannons. Of course, the numerous high fraction of lightspeed references attributed to MAC projectiles didn't help. The idea that the UNSC and their primitive tech could throw equally primitive projectiles at such speeds, even at times when they hadn't even touched on the matters of artificial gravity, was just absurd.
And there's the Nova bomb, working on fusion warheads, which is still begging for a rationalization.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:29 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Picard wrote:Correct. But Halo is quite inconsistent. At least Star Trek has excuse for it, and you can solve MOST inconsistencies by logic.
In Halo the inconsistencies were brought in by lower canon material: The Fall of Reach and the Halo Encyclopedia for example. The first one, because it told the story of a planet being stripped off of its atmosphere (while providing low end firepower to MACs). The second, for many things, including silly short ranges for firearms iirc, and the troutatons for the big cannons. Of course, the numerous high fraction of lightspeed references attributed to MAC projectiles didn't help. The idea that the UNSC and their primitive tech could throw equally primitive projectiles at such speeds, even at times when they hadn't even touched on the matters of artificial gravity, was just absurd.
And there's the Nova bomb, working on fusion warheads, which is still begging for a rationalization.
I thought Nova bombs were extremely rare techno-magic super weapons made in such low numbers they may have only been able to make one?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:20 pm

You'll basically find a summary of the Nova bomb there:
http://www.halopedian.com/NOVA_bomb
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/NOVA_Bomb

Things haven't changed much since then, and it's completely ridiculous to ever imagine that normal fissile materials, even brought to the efficiency of annihilation, would do what the novel says it did.
You'd need like hundreds of thousands of material being annihilated to reach the petatons calculated since the novel got published. It's complete, utter bullshit. The UNSC never ever approached that level of power, especially so early in the war.

TheRainKing777
Bridge Officer

Post by TheRainKing777 » Wed May 16, 2012 6:07 am

With all due respect... As much as I appreciate the colorful nature of these two universes it is clear to me and I think almost everyone else here that the universe that Back to the Future takes place in is clearly more advanced than anything the SW or ST universe could devise. We're talking about TIME TRAVEL. The only time it's even considered in SW or ST it is massively blundered with terrible results.

Imagine then that the Back to the Future universe's future is displayed. Doc Brown's technology has paved the way for scientists to follow in his footsteps. With the tech from the 80's these people could revolutionize any field they bothered to look into. We're talking about aging being halted, medical advances that could create immortality anywhere. With the flick of a switch you could stop time for everyone in your house but you. This would be handy if someone had just accidentally jammed their hand into a garbage disposal and some hilarious sibling turned in on for kicks and giggles. The ambulance could arrive before the first drop of blood hit the smiling sibling's face.

I think even with all these vast force-related powers and immense technology, if you can stop time with a switch, you win. End of story.

So I think what I'm trying to say is that yeah, obviously it's fun to imagine what ifs when it comes to warring fictional universes but if one comes out supreme, it has to be BTTF.

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Sun May 27, 2012 6:31 am

TheRainKing777 wrote:With all due respect... As much as I appreciate the colorful nature of these two universes it is clear to me and I think almost everyone else here that the universe that Back to the Future takes place in is clearly more advanced than anything the HALO universe could devise. We're talking about TIME TRAVEL. The only time it's even considered in HALO it is massively blundered with terrible results.

Imagine then that the Back to the Future universe's future is displayed. Doc Brown's technology has paved the way for scientists to follow in his footsteps. With the tech from the 80's these people could revolutionize any field they bothered to look into. We're talking about aging being halted, medical advances that could create immortality anywhere. With the flick of a switch you could stop time for everyone in your house but you. This would be handy if someone had just accidentally jammed their hand into a garbage disposal and some hilarious sibling turned in on for kicks and giggles. The ambulance could arrive before the first drop of blood hit the smiling sibling's face.

I think even with all these vast force-related powers and immense technology, if you can stop time with a switch, you win. End of story.

So I think what I'm trying to say is that yeah, obviously it's fun to imagine what ifs when it comes to warring fictional universes but if one comes out supreme, it has to be BTTF.
Fixed to fit with actual point of thread.

Also, are you suggesting that Dr. Brown can create LOCALIZED time bubbles? That goes beyond simple time travel, that is time AND space manipulation right there. Not nearly what is described in the BTTF movies.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun May 27, 2012 4:03 pm

Good thing someone reminded me of this (after all, it seems that RK has a purpose here).

I was reading a Xenomorphs vs Flood thread. Here's a couple of claims which you'll find anytime discussing Halo as part of a vs.

For example, it is claimed in the thread that Flood forms "reproduce" in seconds.
But this happened solely in Halo 3 as game mechanics. To my knowledge, not a single cinematic sequence has shown such a thing to happen, and there's quite a problem here if it were true.
They are not the ultimate bioweapon. They can be slowed down by he after effects of the ORION project's enhancements brought to a human, as it happened for staff sergent Johnson.
The Flood can't infect the Mgalekgolo, because there's no central nervous system.
Yanme may also be immune, due to their invertebrate nature and a good exoskeleton.

Why are those limits so real when, according to Haloites, turning into a Flood form only takes an infection form to hug you and have you grow matter out of every hole seconds later?
The complex procedure that represents the invasion of a host is one of several stages:
Tsjoat wrote:The thing about the flood, is by my understanding, is that they attack the nerves first to hijack the body, easiest way to infect the enemy. Once they have a control of your nerves, its game over.

Then the flesh, which should be easy to absorb in a normal human or covenant species. They do this for form you into what they need and to maintain control over the nervous system, and then to absorb the brain. This is done rapidly as seen in Halo 3.

Then they go for the bones, because that is what they use for weapons when they do not have access to any ready made weapons. (Shooting bones at you in Halo 3.)
If you compare that process and the Flood's properties claimed by Haloites, notably the capacity to grow mass out of the blue, from a perfectly normal host infected a scant seconds beforehand, there's just no reason to even bother with such a stupid process. The hijacking of a nervous system couldn't be even more irrelevant. We went from frightening possible science to complete manga-land BS. What happened in Halo3 is that infection forms would attach to a human and like seconds later, Flood stuff would grow all over his body like if you inflated some balloon and the newform would begin to attack you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSSpm8H5rfI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfk6pbgFYEs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekTLkVWfeAM

This isn't science or biology, it's magic. It's like 40K demons entering the materium by bursting to life inside the body of someone who had his soul/faith hijacked.
While there's still some logic behind that in 40K, there's zero logic to that in Halo.It even completely ruins the psycho-terror aspect of it for some cheap scares and tons of enemies to launch at you.

Oh, do I need to remind people that the human body is akin to a water bag? How much "biomass" does that make, huh?
Say hello to those 18% of carbon in the human body, right behind oxygen's 65%.
Calling hot air, those claims of biomass super assimilation to create Flood shit out of nothing, would have never been so relevant.
Calcium comes at 1.4% and the Flood don't even do anything else with it safe keeping it under the form of bone or close.
Combat forms require calcium, so much that a near calcium-less creature can't be used as a combat form. Any chemical reaction using calcium will still take a lot of time, no matter what.