Criteria for dismissing Evidence

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
Khas
Starship Captain

Re: Criteria for dismissing Evidence

Post by Khas » Wed May 09, 2012 7:41 pm

I think Tarkin mentions that the Empire has a million systems, and the prologue has a statement saying that the Empire covers only a small part of it's galaxy.

However, having never actually read the book, I could be wrong.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Sun May 13, 2012 3:07 pm

Praeothmin wrote:
General Donner wrote:Clone Wars numbers, however, are generally too stupid to explain in any satisfactory way. Or at least in my opinion.
Well, I have to say I agree the numbers are ridiculously low for a Galactic Empire, but they are
Canon...
See, the movies and TCW show us some of the main engagements, and the numbers are always small, just as in ST, which points to some low numbers of Clones...
Perhaps the Clones only fight in the main battles, and leave the smaller brush wars to the natives until their help is needed, like the Wookie defense force, for example...
I don't know...
It's just that the numbers are there, they are depicted as Canon, so we must find ways to rationalize them...
Maybe Star Wars galaxy really is few hundred light years in diameter...

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Mon May 14, 2012 2:39 am

Picard wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:More or less:

ANH novel, ch. 6, page 73

"The tridimensional solid screen filled one wall of the vast chamber from floor to ceiling. It showed a million star systems. A tiny portion of the galaxy, but an impressive display nonetheless when exhibited in such a fashion."

There are other references in the ANH novelization, but I think this gets the point across.
-Mike
Urm... it only shows that map has shown a million star systems at that moment, it doesn't indicate size of Empire at all. Unless I have forgotten something that isn't mentioned here.
IT JUST SAID wrote:A tiny portion of the galaxy...

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Wed May 16, 2012 6:36 am

Quote itself just means that map is showing tiny portion of the galaxy. Of course, there is quote which says that Empire "has" million systems, but is that total number of systems, or just inhabited systems?

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sun May 27, 2012 5:25 am

the atom wrote: Okay bad example. What about Coruscant? Are you going to tell me that the fire departments there outnumber both armies of the Clone Wars put together by a thousand fold?
It's Star Wars:

Senators get jumped on the street, beaten within an inch of their lives, and no one thinks it very odd.

Parents send their kids to greet strange transports in a Galaxy with a booming slave trade.

They rarely have hand rails anywhere.

They put bottom less pits in the Emperor's thrown room.

ect.

I was plesently surprised they have fire trucks at all.

the atom wrote: Er...no, not really given that it's a rebellion and not an opposing army.
We see the entire Rebel fleet at Endor. That tiny fleet was ever ship the Rebellion had, and the Rebellion was a credible military threat to the Empire.

Then you have the Imperial Fleets seen at Hoth and Endor was all the Empire could spare for dealing with the largest threat to the Empire.