star wars: movie canon vs expanded universe

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
User2531
Redshirt

star wars: movie canon vs expanded universe

Post by User2531 » Thu May 10, 2012 1:26 am

now its rather obvious the expanded universe both shows and portrays the star wars universe in general as vastly more powerful than the movie canon; now the movie canon would be considered the primary canon would it not? how much weight does the EU hold compared to the movies?

kinda a 'noobish' question, but anyways i've seen star wars debaters running wild on some other forums that basically consider the movies as "low budget outliers" (stating that "star wars as it is truly intended is not capable of being filmed", implying that some of the more 'grandeur' instances of the EU "cannot be filmed with current film/CGI technology" and whatnot, using this as an excuse for why the movies are so much less 'grandiose' in comparison) , while considering the EU as the true star wars universe as it was originally intended. how would you respond to such?

ps i apologize if any thread exactly like this has been previously made lol

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: star wars: movie canon vs expanded universe

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu May 10, 2012 6:24 am

I moved it to Rules of Evidence since the topic is about what is canon in Star Wars.
-Mike
Last edited by Mike DiCenso on Thu May 10, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu May 10, 2012 12:18 pm

mejia, I would tell those poor deluded souls that the Prequels were done with Multimillion dollar budgets in CGI, and would have been able to show us this incredibly powerful SW if such was the case, as RotS did show us the biggest fleet engagement in any SW movie...
Plus, TCW is not constrained by special effects budget...

Oh, and lastly?
SW is GL's, and nobody else's...
The movies, all six, and TCW, are all part of HIS VISION of HIS FRANCHISE...

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Fri May 11, 2012 2:51 am

mejia wrote:kinda a 'noobish' question, but anyways i've seen star wars debaters running wild on some other forums that basically consider the movies as "low budget outliers" (stating that "star wars as it is truly intended is not capable of being filmed", implying that some of the more 'grandeur' instances of the EU "cannot be filmed with current film/CGI technology" and whatnot, using this as an excuse for why the movies are so much less 'grandiose' in comparison) , while considering the EU as the true star wars universe as it was originally intended. how would you respond to such?
those are some pretty clever rationalizations. i'm actually sort of impressed. praeo already destroyed them, so i won't bother, but again, not too bad. i especially liked 'not capable of being filmed.'