Filoni in Insider #136

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
Starship Captain

Filoni in Insider #136

Post by 2046 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:40 pm

I didn't know they'd adapted a comic story for TCW . . . neat:
"Season Four had a first in terms of a story that was an adaptation of a published comic, Slaves of the Republic."

"George does read the comics, and I think The Clone Wars comics catch his eye because, obviously, he's working on The Clone Wars. He also recognized Henry Gilroy's name as the writer of the comic. We needed some stories to round out a season, and George said we have a couple of stories here, let's think of adapting them. Henry had already written for the show, which made a real difference there. We called Henry and he decided to come back and work with us again.

We had to make a lot of tweaks to it, though. Ahsoka is older now than she was in the original comic book. Ventress is no longer working for the Separatists in our timeline. It was fun adapting with Henry and Steven Melching what Henry had done, and bringing it into the world of the Star Wars movie experience from the comic book page.

There is no more clear illustration of the difference between Expanded Universe and the Star Wars created by George Lucas. The EU is a well of ideas, and there's what's on screen. They don't live in the same universe. Everyone wants to think so, I know, and there is a lot of effort to make it all work, but it's pretty clear when you really start looking at it that when you take ideas from the printed realm and bring it on the screen, it's not always the same. They relate. There are similarities. I still enjoy a lot of those stories. I think there are a lot of great ideas. They influence you. They inspire you, which I think is the whole point of having an EU. We try hard to honor things when we can, to give nods to things, but at the end of the day there is a difference between what you see in the Star Wars films and TV series and what you see in those books.

It's mainly because writing for the visual medium is different, as Henry Gilroy will attest to. I mean, look at the monumental task in the opposite direction that Peter Jackson had to go through in taking the written form of The Lord of the Rings and trying to distill it onto the screen. There's a lot of difficulty in translating between the written word and the moving image. The writers of the Star Wars books have to somehow capture the energy, the excitement, the snappy dialogue, and all the things we get from the Star Wars world, and put it on a page. That's a very big challenge.

We just need to think of it all as a creative collection of fun ideas separate from what George Lucas has made. I think a lot of EU creators think of it like that, and like it when they see their creations on screen, whether or not it's used one-to-one as they created it or not. We get that every now and then. We got that when we used the Lady Luck, and the guys who originally designed that were excited to see it come alive on screen. We're all just building that universe."
- Dave Filoni, Hatted One, Star Wars Insider #136 Interview, July 2012

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Re: Filoni in Insider #136

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:55 pm

Hhhmm, it's still unclear if GL thinks the movies and TCW are the same as the C-canon, including the ICS... ;-)

Starship Captain

Re: Filoni in Insider #136

Post by 2046 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:09 pm

I would reply, but before I saw the ";-)" a vein popped in my forehead and blood shot out all over the monitor, so I can't see.