Implications for Star Wars Canon after Disney Buyout

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Implications for Star Wars Canon after Disney Buyout

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:39 am

This is a thread for discussion solely about the possible effects the buyout will have on Star Wars canon.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: Implications for Star Wars Canon after Disney Buyout

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:32 pm

George Lucas, for over 30 years wrote: Blah blah blah ...
Sorry, who are you again?

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:34 pm

I'm hoping Christopher Nolan does the Zahn books... :)

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:47 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
A man who just made 4 billion. ;)

As to the matter at hand it does fairly effectively remove "Lucas-canon"/word of Lucas leaving only the tiered cannon system in the interium until the mess is sorted. If I'm allowed to speculate I'm going to say they'll keep the EU as canon but wholly revamped. Discarding everything into Infinity/N canon and starting fresh with an eye towards supporting the new movies. At least that's my two cents.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:23 am

I just can imagine the hair pulling and jumping up and down that Leland Chee will be doing over this. Will he still have G-canon? Or will it be K-canon (for Kathy Kennedy)? ;-D
-Mike

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:50 am

Praeothmin wrote:I'm hoping Christopher Nolan does the Zahn books... :)
but that means recasting! would you really be okay with that?

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:38 pm

Hey, they rebooted ST, recasting Kirk, Spock and Bones, the most iconic TOS characters ever, and I thought the actors did a wonderful job...

They recast Hulk three times in a row, and I felt Mark Ruffalo was even a better Banner than Norton...

They recast Conan, and even though I did not prefer the new one, I felt Jason Momoa had done a decent job...

They recast Dredd, and from what I've seen of the previes and trailers, Carl Urban did a great job...

They recast James Bond so many times, but as long as the movies are entertaining, I really don't mind (although I truly despise Lazenby's portrayal, even after rewatching the movie three or four times)...

So yes, I'd be perfectly ok with this as long as they get Carl Urban to play Han Solo and find a suitable replacement for the others...
Chewie, C3PO et R2D2 can still be played by the original actors, and even if they had to be replaced, we wouldn't notice... :)

Edit: I just thought that Ryan Gossling could play a very good Luke...
He can play innocent, and also bad ass at the same time...
Or Matt Damon for a hard edged Luke...

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:08 pm

sonofccn wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:
A man who just made 4 billion.
Doesn't matter in the slightest anymore.

Any word from RSA btw?

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:54 am

Praeothmin wrote:Hey, they rebooted ST, recasting Kirk, Spock and Bones, the most iconic TOS characters ever, and I thought the actors did a wonderful job...

They recast Hulk three times in a row, and I felt Mark Ruffalo was even a better Banner than Norton...

They recast Conan, and even though I did not prefer the new one, I felt Jason Momoa had done a decent job...

They recast Dredd, and from what I've seen of the previes and trailers, Carl Urban did a great job...

They recast James Bond so many times, but as long as the movies are entertaining, I really don't mind (although I truly despise Lazenby's portrayal, even after rewatching the movie three or four times)...

So yes, I'd be perfectly ok with this as long as they get Carl Urban to play Han Solo and find a suitable replacement for the others...
Chewie, C3PO et R2D2 can still be played by the original actors, and even if they had to be replaced, we wouldn't notice... :)

ooooh man. fuck. i'm just going to back away slowly before the inevitable lightning bolt..

HEY GOD
I'M NOT WITH HIM, OK

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:09 pm

mojo, I'm surprised all your posts aren't full of "meoow", as you are such a big pussy... :)

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:10 am

meow.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:58 am

Praeothmin wrote:Hey, they rebooted ST, recasting Kirk, Spock and Bones, the most iconic TOS characters ever, and I thought the actors did a wonderful job...

They did a fine job with Earth 199999. I'm hardly worried about a bad movie being made.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:09 am

am i really the only person here who thinks recasting luke and the gang would be a catastrophically bad decision?

if they do it, i will.. PEE ALL OVER MY PANTS, AND THEN WHO'S GOING TO LOOK STUPID? you will WISH i did not eat all that asparagus.

also, praeo, dracula called and he said he's coming over to your house tonight and i said okay.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:20 pm

mojo wrote:am i really the only person here who thinks recasting luke and the gang would be a catastrophically bad decision?
I'm with you, even if we both go down because of this (always remember it was your fault).
also, praeo, dracula called and he said he's coming over to your house tonight and i said okay.
Modern sissy Dracula or old style one?

Cocytus
Jedi Knight

Post by Cocytus » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:30 am

mojo wrote:am i really the only person here who thinks recasting luke and the gang would be a catastrophically bad decision?

if they do it, i will.. PEE ALL OVER MY PANTS, AND THEN WHO'S GOING TO LOOK STUPID? you will WISH i did not eat all that asparagus.

I smell starring roles for Selena Gomez, Justin Bieber, and Miley Cyrus.

Oh, and Mojo? What's gotten into you. You put fertilizer on your balls last night? I gotta tell you, your mouth is reeeeeaaaly writing some checks that your cup can't cash.
Mr. Oragahn wrote:Modern sissy Dracula or old style one?
It's not Dracula. Dracula is dead and buried in Memphis. Praeothmin needs to be on the lookout for the Bus. The Bus of the Undead. Lubricated with 10W blood. Be sure to check the wheels, because those are the markings.