Expanded Universe: An out of debate perspective

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
Jedi Knight

Expanded Universe: An out of debate perspective

Post by 359 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:27 am

I was listening to some news on the radio today, something I don't often do. And someone gave a report on the Expanded Universe of Star Wars. They described the books as "the Star Wars parallel universe." Interesting to see an outside take on things, by someone neither affiliated nor partaking in either the 'Vs' debate or the Star Wars fandom.

So, at least by this sample, the outside uninfluanced perspective is that the universes are separate.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: Expanded Universe: An out of debate perspective

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:40 am

What radio station is this? Is there any way to listen to an online recording of the program?

Jedi Knight

Post by 359 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:37 pm

After a bit of research, it was NPR's Morning Edition from 2013-07-16, a section titled "Use The Books, Fans: 'Star Wars' Franchise Thrives In Print"

There is a link to the audio and a written (not transcript) report here. There is also a related The Wall Street Journal article from which the NPR one seems to have come.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:32 pm

I also heard a story about the EU from a short national news segment that includes "The Wall Street Journal Report", usually spoken by Lillian Wu if memory serves. In that one the "parallel universe" term was not used, nor any particular position on that score.

Awesome that the NPR gang went the extra mile to get the story right. Now leftist EU Completists will be horribly confused, though,now that they are, by extension, effectively put on par with Republicans as bastions of counterfactualism.

Thanks for the heads-up!