What happens to the debate if canon is changed?

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
User1442
Padawan

What happens to the debate if canon is changed?

Post by User1442 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:01 am

So i've been reading in a bunch of place's that the star wars canon is being sorted out so that the EU ties into the movies. That being said, if episode 7 features solo twins, but is in no way connected to the EU plotwise, how does that affect the EU and the debate overall?

Lucky
Jedi Master

Re: What happens to the debate if canon is changed?

Post by Lucky » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:51 am

leon_caboose wrote:
So i've been reading in a bunch of place's that the star wars canon is being sorted out so that the EU ties into the movies. That being said, if episode 7 features solo twins, but is in no way connected to the EU plotwise, how does that affect the EU and the debate overall?
Fitrst off everything with the Star Wars name has always been "canon", but canon when it comes to Star Wars has pretty much meant nothing more then the material was legally carrying the Star Wars name.

The Prequel trilogy and Star Wars: The Clones Wars cartoon showed that just because an element from the pre-buyout Extended universe/C-Canon is used in a higher level, it does not necessarily match its EU/C-Canon counter part. It does not mean the two things with the same name share the same history. It is cheaper to use and modify some existing EU character or location then it is to create one from scratch.

Until REBELS and Episode 7, 8, and 9 come out we can't know for sure, but I'm fully expecting Disney to generally ignore the pre-buyout c-canon story lines, and given the same guys who made Star Wars: The Clone Wars are making REBELS I get the feeling we can pretty much ignore C-level canon.

That said, all that matters is what the protocol is to reconcile contradictions because there will be contradictions no matter how hard they try to prevent them. They could not keep the technical data straight between the Incredible-Cross Sections books and the New Essential Guides kind of shows they have a lot of room for improvement.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:05 pm

Moved to Rules of Evidence forum since this is a discussion on canon rules changes for the Star Wars franchise.
-Mike

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:28 pm

leon_caboose wrote:So i've been reading in a bunch of place's that the star wars canon is being sorted out so that the EU ties into the movies. That being said, if episode 7 features solo twins, but is in no way connected to the EU plotwise, how does that affect the EU and the debate overall?
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/12/greg-weisman-talks-star-wars-rebels-and-showing-the-beginning-of-the-rebel-alliance?abthid=52fb9aad9a4ac0374f000013 wrote:
Describing the approach to Rebels and the widespread potential audience, Weisman said, “We're all very dedicated, and we know this show is going to be canon, so we take that responsibility very seriously. We know that on the one hand there's an audience who's going to be watching this that knows everything there is to know about Lucasfilm canon and knows beyond that tons of stuff from the Expanded Universe, which may or may not turn out to be canon once Lucasfilm decides what is official and what's not. So we want the show to work for that group, the most extreme fanboys out there. At the same time, we also have the responsibility that for a certain generation of kids, this is going to be their first exposure to Star Wars. By the time this comes out next fall, their kids were young enough that they won't have seen Clone Wars. Forget the movies, they won't have seen Clone Wars! So this will be the first Star Wars thing they're seeing, and we take that responsibility very seriously as well.”
From the looks of things only post Disney buy out follow the new canon system, and they aren't sure what bits of canon they will through out yet.

Basically, until they start releasing stuff like Rebels and Episode 7 I'd assume only the movies, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and to a lesser extent the scripts and novelizations of the movies is canon.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:36 pm

For the moment, it's better to play it safe, but making big decisions at the present time is unwise.
With the Clone Wars getting a proper finish after the buyout, I'd say they can be considered of higher canon.