And here we go, the new EU and canonical material

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

And here we go, the new EU and canonical material

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:36 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=84503534
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WZRChVRRRM

Basically, I'm unclear about how the new canon, which encompasses what is the new EU, will force movies to conform to said EU or not...
I feel like Disney is going to replicate the same old hierarchy of yesterday.

Starship Captain

Re: And here we go, the new EU and canonical material

Post by 2046 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:01 pm

Have I mentioned that I hate video?

I don't know what the guy says because I have only made it three minutes in (but it feels like twenty) and the transcript feature doesn't seem to be working on this one, but from what I gather from quickly perusing the comments he might be in the ballpark.

More generally, I am not very impressed by the new novel work seen thus far. Hell, they can't even explain the accents properly. In one of the prequel novelizations it describes Obi-Wan's "clipped Coruscanti accent" or words to that effect, nicely explaining the Imperial British accents like Tarkin's (and Leia's when trying to sound officious to Vader) and giving a nice nod to history, besides. The American-sounding characters were thus natural in their role. But in the Tarkin novel, his is a backwoods Outer Rim accent. That completely screws up the whole perception of Imperial characters.

Frankly, I am leaning toward taking a very, very hardline approach to the "must align" bit from the April announcement.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: And here we go, the new EU and canonical material

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:14 pm

2046 wrote:Have I mentioned that I hate video?

I don't know what the guy says because I have only made it three minutes in (but it feels like twenty) and the transcript feature doesn't seem to be working on this one, but from what I gather from quickly perusing the comments he might be in the ballpark.
At the end he talks about the Old Rep era, and thinks that the addition of a new adventure from that timeline under Disney's era automatically transports all pre-Disney OR stuff to the status of canon.

Sidenote: why have all bad souls to look like fiery demons with growling voices? Bane, Darth Yoda... kinda cliché and not inspired. Heck, Bane has lines which make him really sound like a typical Disneyish taunting bad guy. :/
... OF COURSE!
More generally, I am not very impressed by the new novel work seen thus far. Hell, they can't even explain the accents properly. In one of the prequel novelizations it describes Obi-Wan's "clipped Coruscanti accent" or words to that effect, nicely explaining the Imperial British accents like Tarkin's (and Leia's when trying to sound officious to Vader) and giving a nice nod to history, besides. The American-sounding characters were thus natural in their role. But in the Tarkin novel, his is a backwoods Outer Rim accent. That completely screws up the whole perception of Imperial characters.
Oh, so the book make him a redneck? :o
Perhaps he came from there but moved to Coruscant at a very young age and was educated there?
Would explain the accent.
Frankly, I am leaning toward taking a very, very hardline approach to the "must align" bit from the April announcement.
I'm going to wait and see how they organize all that. Once the movie out, we'll be able to compare how things relate and get a good idea of the structure.
I think Disney's gonna be lazy and milk its own EU while maintaining the movies as the top canon. The Legends mass-conversion was just a way to shove all the old stuff into a nice closet, but soon enough, Disney's going to drown into its own pool of books, comics, games and flavour text on the back of figurine boxes.