Revenge of the EU Completists

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
Starship Captain

Re: Revenge of the EU Completists

Post by 2046 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:40 am

Yup.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:58 am

Pre-Disney, I agreed with your Canon policy so strongly that even irl, I refused to debate the topic using anything else. Both Rain and Airlocke could verify that. I've read the specific portions of your debate in which you spanked Wong on that specific issue many times, with great pleasure. That makes it doubly frustrating to see you relegate yourself to the sidelines by simply refusing to accept official Canon policy. You're an intelligent person, surely you see how this will either make your opinions largely irrelevant, or force you to debate literally nothing but your personal Canon policy, as the debate picks up speed again?
I honestly hope that you reconsider, both for what you have to offer the debate, and, more selfishly, for the entertainment I'll miss out on if you don't.
Apologies if that came across hostile, or if I've missed something.

Edited- phone changed "Wong" to "him" somehow, implying that you debated Airlocke on Canon policy. Amusing, but unhelpful.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:32 pm

mojo wrote:Pre-Disney, I agreed with your Canon policy so strongly that even irl, I refused to debate the topic using anything else. Both Rain and Airlocke could verify that. I've read the specific portions of your debate in which you spanked Wong on that specific issue many times, with great pleasure.

Thanks.
That makes it doubly frustrating to see you relegate yourself to the sidelines by simply refusing to accept official Canon policy.

Do you think the same of me regarding the JJ-verse of Trek? It's the same situation, you know.
You're an intelligent person, surely you see how this will either make your opinions largely irrelevant, or force you to debate literally nothing but your personal Canon policy, as the debate picks up speed again?

So it's, what, 2003 again? I've been a lone voice before. I don't mind. I was the true Star Wars fan then and am now.

The simple fact is, Disney has officially altered the universe to allow rampant EU inclusion while also claiming the Lucas canon to be inviolable. That'd be tricky anyway but worse when you don't actually pay attention to the Lucas works in the first place, and put the EU crew in charge of some and the Lucas gang partially in charge elsewhere on minor projects. The EU gang holds sway.

Long-term, it will be unsustainable, and they will reboot/re-order sometime down the lane. Rebels will be a minor success but largely confined to itself, story-wise, and will be the Star Wars career dead-end for Dave Filoni, who will transition to comic-type stuff and maybe a novel. The EU-philes won't weep when the last vestiges of the Old Lucas Republic are swept away from the video realm. The spoilers for VII and related works suggest a fairly stupid story evocative of what Lucas created but generally based on taking the happy ending and stretching it out for generations, but it'll make a mint even if it just feels like a quasi-reboot. Like JJ-Trek, it will be the Star Whatever that all the kids know. Oh well. Let them make their own site.

Stories will continue to diverge technologically, just as we've already seen, turning Star Wars into a nonsensical hodge-podge of techno-magery and WW2-esque tech levels that defy reasonable best-fit analysis and instead return us to the ridiculous EU era of kilojoule ship weapons doing planetary crust-melting in an hour, and maybe giving us flammable liquid hypermatter. In short, worse than Voyager, tech-wise.

But no matter… the Story Group will keep the major character plot points in line and who cares about the number-crunchy stuff? WW2 was won by brave hunky pilots and courageous hunky soldiers between romancing buxom military chicks and spies and such, against all odds, not the penetration of the Sherman's gun or the training of P-51 pilots in dealing with the climb rate of enemy fighters. That will all change from story to story because tech consistency is for nerds, and this is Disney Star Wars.

So that unresearched and ill-considered EU concept that contradicted Lucas canon? No worries, bring it in. If other authors dig it maybe they'll use it or maybe it'll only show in the same author's books, and maybe a contradictory idea will be part of the works of others. Who cares, it's about the story, right?

Suffice it to say, I'd have more respect for it if they just came out and said they were rebooting it all instead of pretending that the six films and TCW held some special status which they will now keep working hard to ignore.

As for me, I have no interest in policing every new book and commenting on how it contradicts the inviolable canon of Lucas. I have better shit to do.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:43 am

Well, I thank you for making your position clear.