New Star Wars Canon as it Pertains to The Debate

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
Jedi Knight

New Star Wars Canon as it Pertains to The Debate

Post by 359 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:53 pm

And lo, here be that somewhere else!

So, the new Star Wars canon policy essentially removes the old novelizations and any debate over the old EU material. But it also does introduce some new EU material.

This new material is reportedly on equal footing with the movies. This presents a small question to the debate scene: how to handle inconsistencies between the novels and the movies. Disney has stated that they will maintain consistency within published works so there won't be inconsistencies (obviously). But it is also clear that they mean this from a storyline standpoint and not from a technical standpoint. So again the question is asked what to do when there is the inevitable technical contradiction.

Well there are two real options I can think of.
A) Hold the movies higher anyway to settle conflicts.
B) Hold them the same, but effectively reach the same result as with (A) because there is significant canon material supporting the movies portrayal in almost every technical aspect.

I personally prefer the second option, it is more work to provide and solve a contradiction, but I also think it is a more fair way of going about it. However much I may be tempted to go with (A) as I really couldn't care less about Star Wars in other published mediums. Well... I could actually care less, but you get the point. Anyway, with the greatly increasing volume of canon material we are getting more to an analytical point similar to Star Trek where there will actually be multiple data points for the same aspect.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: New Star Wars Canon as it Pertains to The Debate

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:10 am

Lazy Me would say movies first. It started that way, it gave a solid hierarchy.
It's quite ironic that the EU diehards got what they wanted in a way, movies and EU on equal terms.
Not that it will matter much to those who were dishonest enough to revisit the movies according to their fanontaisies.

Moff Tarquin
Bridge Officer

Post by Moff Tarquin » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:50 am

I would say that you should attempt to harmonize first, but keep in mind that the original six moves and TCW are "immovable." So any harmonization should err on the side of consistency with the six movies and TCW (ie, instead of taking any "wanked" values to be the norm and the low showings in Lucas' work to be the result of special conditions, we instead take Lucas' work to be the norm and assume that deviations from that are the result of special conditions), and if we run into any irreconcilable contradictions, we side with the Lucas canon.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:57 am

According to the statements we have on the subject, it still is a kind of hierarchy as the six, now seven movies, TCW, and Rebels are all part of the immovable canon of the SW story. If a novel, book, or supplemental material contradicts those, it is wrong, period.
-Mike

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:04 pm

Where'd you get the idea they don't count the novelizations? Remember back when they said it was the six then added the TCW Traviss one?

Jedi Knight

Post by 359 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:01 pm

I actually do not remember. And I just hadn't seen any information on them in my research, so I assumed they were no longer canon.

Ah, I found it. And I stand corrected.

Darth Spock
Bridge Officer

Post by Darth Spock » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:03 am

Personally, I'd prefer the same basic policy of the Lucas era: Movies and shows first and above all, and novelizations only of the movies to fill in details after the films, so I guess I favor option (A) of the two. I was never particularly concerned about Disney taking the helm of Star Wars, but their canon policy is retarded, including every novel, comic and video game (yes, even mobile game content is now considered canon) is a train wreck waiting to happen, even from a narrative standpoint. From a vs. standpoint, I can only see the new canon serving as a giant toolbox full of inconsistent monkey wrenches for people to throw into a debate when the tide is turning against them.
I'd like to see everything nicely meshed and consistent, but as loosely controlled, EU style content grows, I really can't see that happening.