Jedi Master Spock, post your education credentials

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
mojo
Starship Captain

Re: Jedi Master Spock, post your education credentials

Post by mojo » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:24 am

not to be argumentative (believe it or not) but how do you even HAVE an opponent who's too strong to pit against an entity with godlike power?

User1602
Redshirt

Post by User1602 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:59 am

mojo wrote:not to be argumentative (believe it or not) but how do you even HAVE an opponent who's too strong to pit against an entity with godlike power?
Easy: have Steven Ratliff as the writer, and Marrissa Amber Flores Picard as the opponent.
God would get off easy if she just carved "I GOT BEAT BY A KID" in his butt with phasers. I think she's pwned Q a few times as well.

That's why Steven Ratliff and Marrissa Picard are the most hated fanwanker and Mary Sue in cyber-history.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:35 pm

I have to concur with Mojo who is this "Lt"? I'm not denying he/she/it can't trounce Q but whatever it is must be pretty mind blowing to be in a league above your standered ominpitent being.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:56 pm

The problem is, Q is NOT omnipotent, he is simply very powerful.
Evidenced by the fact that the crew of Voyager were given weapons that could harm Q, while nothing we know can truly harm, or kill, the LT...
The LT, on the other hand, is omniscient, and very near omnipotent...

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:19 pm

Praeothmin wrote:The problem is, Q is NOT omnipotent, he is simply very powerful.
Evidenced by the fact that the crew of Voyager were given weapons that could harm Q, while nothing we know can truly harm, or kill, the LT...
The LT, on the other hand, is omniscient, and very near omnipotent...
Who is LT?.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:27 pm

Living Tribunal...

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:09 pm

Praeothmin wrote:Living Tribunal...
He sounds like a Q tbh and he serves serves the One-Above-All.

User1602
Redshirt

Post by User1602 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:20 am

Kor_Dahar_Master wrote:
What about the living tribunal in "Encounter at Far Point Station?"
Was that just symbolic of the Trekkies accepting Picard and crew on a trial basis?

Like they said at the end of the series:
We gave you a chance, and what did we get? SEVEN YEARS of you worrying about Riker's career? SEVEN YEARS of Troi's pedantic psychobabble? SEVEN YEARS of Data's exploits into 'humanity?' Time may be infinite, but our patience is not! It's time to put an end to your little 'Trek through the stars!'

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:15 am

mojo wrote:not to be argumentative (believe it or not) but how do you even HAVE an opponent who's too strong to pit against an entity with godlike power?
anime and comics spawned a fuckton of characters stronger then the Q most trekkies either accept this or simply don't care because cosmic being vs cosmic being debates tend to either be really over the top feat wise..or just really boring

but occasionally you get one guy who gets psychotically bent out of shape over it
sonofccn wrote:I have to concur with Mojo who is this "Lt"? I'm not denying he/she/it can't trounce Q but whatever it is must be pretty mind blowing to be in a league above your standered ominpitent being.
it's a being that has on panel killed beings who can casually create multiverses with beings about on par with the Q populating them (being able to warp reality across a galactic/universal scale)

he's essentially the underboss of the omnipotent creator of marvel and is the guy who carries out its divine will..which has included assimilating other comic multiverses into marvel apparently (when they buy a comic book company they don't just incorporate it into canon they have their gods kill yours awfully petty doncha think)

He'd be more like if trek had such a being a divine oversser with out peer serving only the creator entity..who basically is essentially a cosmic "capo regime" to gods "boss of all bosses"

there are many Q and according to Q beings beyond him..theres nothing beyond the LT but "god" and nothing that rivals such a beings power
Kor_Dahar_Master wrote:
no he's not a Q he's kinda too boring to be one personality wise he's so dull a Q would have to be the special ED of the Q to be that guy and his solution to problems is usually "annihilate that universe and every single universe near it then rebuild it and make lets see what happens"

Q tend to be less final and authoritative they also don't posses nor ever showed power any where near that level, this guy is literally top underboss and runs the cosmos kinda like a mafia operation if you don't mess with affairs on a grandscale he ignores you..but when you go to far? you..and everything that ever existed pays

beings on Q's level tend to call him when they have a problem they can't deal with and he usually gives them the finger due to considering even that type of power "not large scale enough to affect my bosses over all goals" as..sickening as that is

I can't imagine a Q being that neglectful (then again I guess when your too strong to do "subtle" you don't have a choice)

actually if you want a mental picture of the cosmic idiot..picture a deformed glowing golden dude with a mop on his head sitting on a toilet the size of a universe...and you have the LT

I can't imagine a Q ever having such errm..unique fashion sense
TrekPhilosopher wrote:Sounds like Steven Ratliff arguing for Marrissa Amber Flores Picard.
so Marrissa picard is that bad eh?

User1604
Redshirt

Post by User1604 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:33 am

Admiral Breetai wrote:so Marrissa picard is that bad eh?

User1604
Redshirt

Post by User1604 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:42 am

She's been named the fanfic version of Wesley Crusher, but that's an insult to Wes IMHO.

See for yourself. click it, if you dare!

User1604
Redshirt

Post by User1604 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:43 am

She's been named the fanfic version of Wesley Crusher, but that's an insult to Wes IMHO.

See for yourself. click it, if you dare!

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:42 am

i hesitate to admit it, but i have read every bit of trek fiction i could find with Q in it, and i always find it really weird when he deals with entities who are supposed to be stronger than he is. not only is it really awkwardly done because noone can seem to think of a way to show that someone is more powerful than Q besides having them take away Q's powers, but the representation of the other person or entity or whatever mainly just reads like it's another Q with a different personality.
now other beings with SIMILAR levels of power can make for some truly great Q stories. did anyone else ever read 'q-squared', or 'i, q'?

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:34 am

mojo wrote:i hesitate to admit it, but i have read every bit of trek fiction i could find with Q in it, and i always find it really weird when he deals with entities who are supposed to be stronger than he is. not only is it really awkwardly done because noone can seem to think of a way to show that someone is more powerful than Q besides having them take away Q's powers, but the representation of the other person or entity or whatever mainly just reads like it's another Q with a different personality.
now other beings with SIMILAR levels of power can make for some truly great Q stories. did anyone else ever read 'q-squared', or 'i, q'?
Q-squared was ok and i enjoyed the Trelane angle but i never read i, q, there was also a trilogy that includes Q-Zone, Q-Space, Q-Strike that had 2 of the entities from TOS (gorgan and the Beta XII-A entity) and the evil head from "the final frontier in it, it also had a entity called "0" in it that had powers roughly on par with a individual Q.

User1604
Redshirt

Post by User1604 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:59 pm

The only thing I never believed was that Q was married.... to a woman, anyway :D