Jedi Master Spock, post your education credentials

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
mojo
Starship Captain

Re: Jedi Master Spock, post your education credentials

Post by mojo » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:28 am

HAHA

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:16 am

mojo wrote:i hesitate to admit it, but i have read every bit of trek fiction i could find with Q in it, and i always find it really weird when he deals with entities who are supposed to be stronger than he is. not only is it really awkwardly done because noone can seem to think of a way to show that someone is more powerful than Q besides having them take away Q's powers, but the representation of the other person or entity or whatever mainly just reads like it's another Q with a different personality.
now other beings with SIMILAR levels of power can make for some truly great Q stories. did anyone else ever read 'q-squared', or 'i, q'?
Nope, but the tiles sound funny. That said, Q annoy me so I'll never read those.

User1610
Candidate

Post by User1610 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:52 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
mojo wrote:i hesitate to admit it, but i have read every bit of trek fiction i could find with Q in it, and i always find it really weird when he deals with entities who are supposed to be stronger than he is. not only is it really awkwardly done because noone can seem to think of a way to show that someone is more powerful than Q besides having them take away Q's powers, but the representation of the other person or entity or whatever mainly just reads like it's another Q with a different personality.
now other beings with SIMILAR levels of power can make for some truly great Q stories. did anyone else ever read 'q-squared', or 'i, q'?
Nope, but the tiles sound funny. That said, Q annoy me so I'll never read those.
That's what happens in any drama where the Puck becomes more than comic-relief, and no good dramatist would attempt it... that's why I always wished that Star Trek would get the Puck out!

Having said that, I think that the Organians could easily wipe their non-corporeal butts with Q, as could most of the others including Trelane.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:17 am

in a bizarre twist, trelane seems to turn out to have BEEN a q the whole time. at least, that was the idea i took away from q-squared. it was a stretch, to say the least. but fun.

at the absolute least, trelane was an adopted q. but i thought the book was implying he WAS a q. i don't know. like i said, it was weird. maybe someone else could straighten it out for me?

from memory alpha:
Trelane's name is said to be a shortening of "three lanes", indicating the three timelines that Trelane tried to control. His birth as a Q is also discussed as being a direct result of his death, mainly that when Trelane was destroyed at the end of the novel, a spark of his being remained, was named "Tre-Lane", and then became the Trelane that Kirk and company later encountered in TOS: "The Squire of Gothos". Trelane's entire existence is therefore said to be one continuous loop.
Last edited by mojo on Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:35 am

"What... what was that all about?"
"Fate of the universe."
"Again?"

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:37 am

one of the most fun things about 'q-squared' that it played around with all these separate dimensions. my favorite was the one in which:
Jack Crusher is captain of the USS Enterprise-D.
Jean-Luc Picard - broken in rank after the Stargazer court martial - is the ship's first officer.
Jack and Beverly are divorced, and Wesley died at the age of four after he fell out of a tree trying to see Jack. Picard and Beverly are engaged in a romantic relationship unbeknownst to Jack.
Geordi La Forge is one of Beverly's nurses in sickbay because of all the medical devices he used when he was young.
Tasha Yar and Data (this Data being a "human-oid" - a positronic brain in a flesh and blood body) have an ongoing relationship.
William T. Riker and Kira Nerys are prisoners of the Romulans.
Will and Deanna Troi are married, and have a son named Tommy.
Worf dwells in the Klingon Empire; is high-ranking and has aspirations for a seat on the High Council. His parents died on Narendra III instead of Khitomer.
The bartender in Ten Forward is named Caryn Johnson. (This is also the real name of Whoopi Goldberg, who plays Guinan.)
James Kirk's middle initial is R.

there was a fantastic little bit where the 3 separate versions of data are sitting around talking, and the two 'regular' datas ask the 'human-oid' data with the human body what is the most interesting thing about having a human body:
'Sex.'