On Dual Canons in the Disney Era

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
Starship Captain

On Dual Canons in the Disney Era

Post by 2046 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:19 am

I thought it best to simply start a new topic since the issue has come up in multiple other threads.

I have inquired of Pablo Hidalgo on Twitter about his view of a Lucas Canon versus the Disney New Canon. He mostly seemed concerned at the notion that any divergence exists, and sought to remain generally vague besides, but when presented with a hypothetical contrary detail suggested that the New Canon would probably 'win' amd go on about its merry way, also showing no disagreement with my assessment that the New Canon is the child of Lucas Canon, EU data, and fresh ideas.

While not the rousing reinforcement I could've hoped for but never expected anyway, the fact that the "immovable" Lucas canon can be altered and/or ignored in the New Canon without issue does generally fit my assessment to date.

Quotes later.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: On Dual Canons in the Disney Era

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:20 pm

So, the Lucas canon would be kept mainly out of convenience because of the richness of the original material, also in order to avoid ostracizing older fans, also to show some respect to the original material because lots of people would be upset if the original canon were to be ignored or largely rewritten. They're kinda walking on some eggs here. They'll first exploit the OT+PT as much as they can and perhaps in twenty years from there, focus on different eras.
I don't think Disney will create an opposition as stark as what happened in Trek between the TOS and practically the rest (TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT and the movies).

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:24 pm

The opposition to the non-TOS stuff was basically a guy (Aridas Sofia or something like that was his common screen name) who'd been busy creating FASA-style non-canon with some group in the early 80s and got miffed when Roddenberry resumed control of and construction in the Trek sandbox. He preferred the freedom of creativity in a dead canon, where he could make up ship designs and backstories and never be contradicted. He was a prolific poster and had a sidekick, meaning that if his work wasn't absurd and if he yapped about it enough it could become commonly-accepted fanon.

Fanon doesn't always do well versus a living canon, as Saxton, Wong, et cetera also learned. And much as they hated on Lucas, Aridas hated on Roddenberry, declaring him to be drug-addled and senile so as to explain away contradiction between TNG and his own fanon stuff, and attacking at length the very concept of canon.

That's literally the only person I've heard of to take the anti-non-TOS line and maintain it. Perhaps it was helpful that TNG pre-dated the internet era so such ravings didn't take root.

All that said, I am certainly well aware that my stance could be misconstrued as something similarly icky, but such a claim could only be made from the barest glance and willful blindness.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:14 pm

Aha . . . I thought I had more on this stuff.

These blog posts hit some of the important points:

http://weblog.st-v-sw.net/2015/04/tarkula-rasa.html
http://weblog.st-v-sw.net/2015/05/tarku ... -list.html

Iscander
Padawan

Post by Iscander » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:05 pm

Bryceylxnw wrote:It is a tough sell. After all, some would consider departure from the Lucas vision as a feature, not a bug, especially old EU-philes who hated Lucas. And the idea of ownership dictating canon is what I have argued for previously.

I walk a fine line with this for consistencys sake, having previously dealt with Trek anti-canonites who sought to reject the TNG-era Trek as the delusions of a drug-addled Roddenberry.

As for contradiction, there will probably never be a major incident in most peoples minds. I mean, theyre never going to retcon that the twins are actually Obi-Wans or anything, most likely. However, minor Disney novel contradictions with prior canon are already piling up, and the icky EU fascination with corporations where every Imperial officer is a business tycoon is already in full swing. Such contradictions-in-spirit are gonna pile up fast.
And yet another clever bot.

http://www.starfleetjedi.net/forum/view ... %2C#p51810

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:09 pm

:D