Size of the Federation vs Galactic Empire's Size

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Re: Size of the Federation vs Galactic Empire's Size

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:43 pm

Kane Starkiller wrote:I was not attempting to draw an analogy between Honshu and Core Worlds but between "island" and "system". They are geographical or astronomical terms that tell us nothing about their economic or strategic importance. Not to mention that armed rebellion and secession are not matters a state takes lightly no matter how "small" the seceding territory is.
Ah, ok.
I agree that not state takes secession lightly.
My main interrogation was how did the SW Galaxy, or "Universe", go from 1 000 000 systems in a Galaxy virtually completely explored (from the movies, from all the maps I've seen which haven't changed any planets' locations at all from one iteration to the other), to 1 Billion system in the atlas...
If the Empire, or the Republic, had had so many systems in the movies, they would have been mentioned in ANH, instead of 1 Million...

Kane Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Kane Starkiller » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:06 pm

Atlas specifies that there are 1.75 million full member systems, 69 million with population high enough for some kind of representation in the Empire and billion total inhabited systems (ranging from planets like Hoth).
So one million to 1.75 million is not really a large jump.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:20 pm

Kane Starkiller wrote:Atlas specifies that there are 1.75 million full member systems, 69 million with population high enough for some kind of representation in the Empire and billion total inhabited systems (ranging from planets like Hoth).
So one million to 1.75 million is not really a large jump.
Ok.
I still think it fits well within a 10 000LY Galaxy, since 1 billion stars can fit in it, the Galaxy had been fully, or almost fully explored by AotC, and that 1 billion systems will include even 1 or 2 man outposts...

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:31 pm

Youngla0450 wrote:
I am guessing you are one of those damned Trekkies, since you keep on trying to claim that the Empire is small and weak.
and your making use of dubious canon author wanked EU novels to contradict a direct written passage by Lucas in a novel and the highest primary canon..the actual movies on the size of the empire...and your intimating the other party is biased? really?
Youngla0450 wrote:Everyone must realize that the Galactic Empire surpasses all the major Star Trek governments in size. The Empire, as previously stated, has at least one and a half million canonically recognized member/conquered worlds, as well up to fifty million colonies, protectorates, and puppet states scattered throughout the Star Wars galaxy, streching over 120,000 light years. Compare this to:]
size means very little when three of the "puny" powers you mention have shown industrial feats far greater then anything we've seen in the movies
Youngla0450 wrote: *The Federation, which has 150 member worlds and 1,000 colonies, protectorates, or semi-independent states, spread across only 8,000 light years, in one porition of a quadrant of a galaxy, which is no more then 100,000 light years in length.
as of St insurrection the feds where letting any one join and the number was increasing pretty dramatically..even if most of the new members where crap many of them just flew their first warp test...and the colonies...are probably more then a thousand seeing as how sick the feds terraforming tech is ..and seeing as its a post scarcity government..your likely dealing with colonies..in the hundreds of millions if not..more..the only thing keeping..population down would be if every one squeezed out kids in their sixties like Jellico.. we know this isn't the case
Youngla0450 wrote:*The Klingons or Romulans, who both have less then 1,100 worlds each, and at the most 3,000 colonies.
I highly doubt that their about the same size as the Feds with the Romulans being slightly smaller...and while they may not have..the same population or industry as the feds...they're pretty close

[
Youngla0450 wrote: *The Cardassians, with around 170 major systems and production facilities.
the Cardassians are the thugs of the universe a bunch of moronic gangsters who raped and pillaged their way into second rate power..tier then bankrupted themselves causing territory wide poverty and famine fighting a mere border skirmish with the feds then got routed by a rebellion from a society that had been declining for tens of thousands of years..and was by and large utterly harmless when first conquered

they are by no means the average representation of a stellar nation in trek..comparing them to say The klingons or the Federation is like comparing the bloods or the crips to la cosa nostra

Youngla0450 wrote: *The Ferengi, who might have less then 200 worlds and states total, perhaps smaller then the Federation.
who are again a minor power with unusually large economic influence..but who could still field ships powerful enough to be a threat to a Galaxy class starship-not a fight any ISD or two..would enjoy
Youngla0450 wrote: *The Borg, with, at the most, 20,000 systems and only six major shipyards, compared to a Empire of tens of millions of systems and over 1,000 major shipyards.
who'd curbstomp the empire what's your point?

[
Youngla0450 wrote: *The Krenim, who have no more then 5,000 worlds.
what? what's your bases for this? they weren't even that major a civilization Anorax aside hell the Racist anti telepathy guys had a larger territory then the kremin
Youngla0450 wrote: *The Dominion, with no more then 10,000 worlds and major facilities.
umm no they control virtually the entire GQ and considering terraforming technology in trek can turn a hunk of rock like mars into an earth like world inside of a year...and they can resurrect dead stars and the Dominion itself utterly dwarfed the Federation in this technology as well as industrial might...they likely..have control over..or have made it so that their "member" races those who provide economy and build the weapons and ships of the dominion...have allot of breathing room

they maybe smaller then the GE but they are indisputably more densely populated and some crap on the empires ship building capacity
Last edited by Admiral Breetai on Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:00 am

Uh guys, this guy was driven off months ago. No one would have done anything had Picard not committed Thread Necromancy...

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:33 am

Yes, while Thread Necromancy is not specifically forbidden in the rules, it is somewhat unoffically a faux pas of sorts since the person who started the thread may no longer be be active, and most of the topic long since settled, or is already being readdressed in a more recent thread.
-Mike

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:26 am

Sorry for that, I just wanted to post my own research on theme.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:55 am

Picard wrote:Sorry for that, I just wanted to post my own research on theme.
You have nothing to be sorry about. Adding new things to old threads is okay around here, but it's kind of silly to respond to people who haven't been here in months if not years when the statements have been responded to by others when they had been made.

Youngla0450
Bridge Officer

My Apologies

Post by Youngla0450 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:54 am

I'm no longer interested in arguing about things like this. I was too argumentative, rude, and disgraceful to many members on this site. From now on, that will not happen. My months of inactvity on this site have basically convinced me. I am sorry to Mike DiCenso, the Dude, and those others I had problems with.