Stormtroopers try to board a Federation Starship

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:40 pm

Stormtrooper armor is not air-tight and therefore does not offer protectino from vacuum. Ewok arrows easily pierce through imperial armor so I guess maybe the perjectiles being refered to are spitballs. As for blasters not drawing any blood, well if it is hot (like a LASER or plasma bolt) then it will cauterize the wound. So basically stormtrooper armor limits peripheral vision, mobility, and flexibility.

I know that Galaxy class ships have designated dock points because we see people being evacuated through them (I think the episode is the one with all the 1s and 0s in its name).

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:06 pm

Darth Tanner wrote:Protection from vacuum
Neck exposed to envirment allowing NBC or vacume threats in.
Darth Tanner wrote:projectiles
Arrows pierce body armor, bullets should go through no problem.
Darth Tanner wrote:energy weapons (blaster bolts never burn though the armour or draw blood, just knock the guy wearing it silly (they scream when they fall)
Never seen to get up, ever. Show no movment after being shot, ever, hear no diolage about wounded ever. I don't see how we know if a bolt burns through or not, and we wouldn't see blood, bolts were caterize the wound.
Darth Tanner wrote:stick to the corridors and access shafts.
Except for turbolifts you have to use jeffry tubes which allow one person at a time to crawl through and therefore easy to defend. SO either way Stormtroopers get the short end of the stick.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:13 pm

sonofccn wrote:
At the same time, they should have some similar variety of space suit. In a Federation starship, they are unlikely to encounter vacuum, but will probably need to brave the vacuum in order to enter. I would call this one not particularly important.

The internal defenses of a starship - such as the ability to generate internal force fields - are pretty important.

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:19 pm

Well, it could be a factor. After all, there are two instances I can recall in DS9 were all areas (except the ones were the good guys are) are flooded with gas to render hostile forces unconscious.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:20 pm

Jedi Master Spock wrote:
sonofccn wrote:
At the same time, they should have some similar variety of space suit. In a Federation starship, they are unlikely to encounter vacuum, but will probably need to brave the vacuum in order to enter.
I'm sure they do have spacesuits, just that a standard issue ST armor will not protect you from space as Darth Tanner stated. I had assumed thier shuttles could form an airlock around the section thier blasting through, but that is a good point. How do imperials board when they can't swallow the ship.

Darth Tanner
Padawan

Post by Darth Tanner » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:31 pm

ST armour is sealable, they just don’t seal up when on planets their own ships/stations. The same way that our soldiers when wearing chemical weapon suites dont seal up unless they actually need to, A)uses up your air supply & B) hot as hell

It is however only good for short term exposure (no air tanks) so fully fledged space troopers would be needed if they decided to simply cut the hull away and space the crew.

The arrow only went through the black body glove, it is fully established that ST armour is bullet proof (sand people guns bouncing off in Tatooine Ghost)

Boarding through boarding craft & shuttles, the only picture of one I've seen looked like a really big Tie Bomber.

Why can't the Imps simply blow holes in the flooring/ceiling and take out local gravity plates to float up and down decks? How did the borg get about the Ent E?

DS9 had systems in place in case of bajoran insurrection, there is no evidence Star fleet has them but it would be logical that there is some sort of environmental control ability, like when the doctor flooded the Prometheus with knock out gas to take out the romulans.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:46 pm

Darth Tanner wrote:ST armour is sealable, they just don’t seal up when on planets their own ships/stations.
This is based off of?

Also what's the OP regarding cannon for this thread? EU allowed or no?
Darth Tanner wrote:The arrow only went through the black body glove, it is fully established that ST armour is bullet proof (sand people guns bouncing off in Tatooine Ghost)
It looked like it went through for me,otherwise wouldn't the arrow be sticking out infront of the white armor? Anyway Movie perice with arrow tromps the novel(game?) of bullet bouncing.
Darth Tanner wrote:Why can't the Imps simply blow holes in the flooring/ceiling and take out local gravity plates to float up and down decks?
They could, but that takes time, planning etc. In a boarding action you want to move as fast as possible to keep the defenders reacting to you instead of hatching up more trouble for you.
Darth Tanner wrote:How did the borg get about the Ent E?
I don't know. Just that everytime the turbolifts are offline they employ the jeffy tubes, so if thier is another way it is seldom talked about or employed.

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:54 pm

The picture I've seen shows the arrow going through the backpack of a bike pilot trooper. Though there were plenty of regular stormtroopers getting killed by non-blaster weapons (the rocks on a string weapon comes to mind). Based on the battle of Endor it is safe to say that stormtrooper armor is definitely not bullet proof.

Darth Tanner
Padawan

Post by Darth Tanner » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:56 pm

So an arrow going through a body suite is proof that bullets go through armour panels?

I agree that scene is not very clear on where the arrow hits though.

How were the Remans intending to get the bridge in Nemesis? Were they on a suicide run or was there an actual threat of them getting Picard.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:04 am

Darth Tanner wrote:So an arrow going through a body suite is proof that bullets go through armour panels?
Well if the armor was built with say a kevlar like substance then yes arrows could pass through and bullets wouldn't. However since bullets have been mostly regulated to third would nomads on a third world planet I don't see why the empire would build bullet-proof armor in paticular.
Darth Tanner wrote:How were the Remans intending to get the bridge in Nemesis? Were they on a suicide run or was there an actual threat of them getting Picard.
I never said it was impossible, just difficult. I guess a better question is how many jeffry tubes are there, locatoin, etc.

Darth Tanner
Padawan

Post by Darth Tanner » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:10 am

One reason I can think of is to force people to wield blasters, machine guns are better in many ways, also they are likely easier to control in the way that they are hi tech products, ie. you couldnt just make your own without the gov realising it.

Does the Ent D have a door in the captains ready room? or was that in a dream sequence.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:17 am

Darth Tanner wrote:How were the Remans intending to get the bridge in Nemesis? Were they on a suicide run or was there an actual threat of them getting Picard.
Clone armor, the first Storm trooper armor that I'm aware of appeared in the Clone wars. By that time energy based weapons were already mainstream. to the point where primitve projectil weapons were only in the hands of nomad primitve sandpeople. So there was no need to make people swith to energy weapons, they already had. Also a blaster carries more ammo easier, packs a bigger punch, and has a stun feature. I would consider it a superior weapon. Maybe not a huge advantage over projectiles, but it does have an edge.
Does the Ent D have a door in the captains ready room? or was that in a dream sequence.
Yes he has a door to his ready room. I'm afraid I'm not understanding the point of that question however.

Darth Tanner
Padawan

Post by Darth Tanner » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:22 am

We dont know what armour soldiers wore before the clone wars, its likely they had similar suites to Storm troopers, I wouldn't think you would bring in such a large change to military practice so quickly

Well having a door to the bridge from space does make it somewhat easier to get there dont you think?

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:34 am

Darth Tanner wrote:We dont know what armour soldiers wore before the clone wars, its likely they had similar suites to Storm troopers, I wouldn't think you would bring in such a large change to military practice so quickly
Possible, but all known evidence says imps never wore bulletproof vests.
Well having a door to the bridge from space does make it somewhat easier to get there dont you think?
Oh that's what you meant. No the ready room has a door, but not an airlock.

Darth Tanner
Padawan

Post by Darth Tanner » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:10 am

Why do you need an air lock? send in the space troopers, the OP never said anything about needing prisoners.

"but all known evidence says imps never wore bulletproof vests"

Your right all those shots of storm troopers being shot by bullets, there are too many to count really.

Why do people want to believe that SW armour has no use what so ever? Is it just because star trek security don't wear any protection?