Grow arms

For any and all other discussion, i.e., not relating to Star Wars or Star Trek or standards of evidence. A reminder: Don't spam, don't flame, and stay reasonable.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Grow arms

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:22 am

http://blog.wired.com/defense/2009/03/d ... le-re.html

Funny how they got a $570,000 thumb from Darpa for the next step.
I'd thought they'd need to pour millions into that kind of stuff.

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:31 am

I'm not sure I would be all that confident in something, of that nature, that was developed on a budget...

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:28 am

Surely there will be some people who will protest this as it will be used to extend the fighting capabilities of child-killing warmongers.

To which I say, I wonder how long such protesters would be able to live after his head has been savagely and brutally torn off. Long enough to regrow another one?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:51 pm

ILikeDeathNote wrote:Surely there will be some people who will protest this as it will be used to extend the fighting capabilities of child-killing warmongers.

To which I say, I wonder how long such protesters would be able to live after his head has been savagely and brutally torn off. Long enough to regrow another one?
I'm lost. Who's going to lose a head here exactly? A scientist maybe?

What I observe is that a fundamentally good news, is primarily developed for and with the help of the military, and that at a cost which, in light of the millions spent on purely civil research on cancer and other illnesses, seems to be peanuts.
Yet, regrowing limbs is absolutely nothing to scoff at.

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:41 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:]

I'm lost. Who's going to lose a head here exactly? A scientist maybe?
It was a lame attempt at a quip. But...
What I observe is that a fundamentally good news, is primarily developed for and with the help of the military, and that at a cost which, in light of the millions spent on purely civil research on cancer and other illnesses, seems to be peanuts.
This is exactly what I was talking about, though I was specifically referring to the wildly exaggerated reactions from people so far out there that they believe people who serve the military have basically forfeited their right to be recognized as people and have become inhuman warmongering monsters instead. Primary military motivations won't change the fact that this will still ensure that people who have lost limbs in combat will not face a much gentler slope uphill when reintegrating into society once their tour of duty is over, and of course restoring full functionality to people who have lost limbs to non-combat causes.