Starfleet Jedi Open Database:Introduction
Welcome to the Starfleet Jedi Open Database! If you are familiar with how wikis work, skip straight to the rules. You may also wish to visit our article on What Wikipedia isn't (but Starfleet Jedi Open Database is) to learn about the differences between the Starfleet Jedi Open Database and other fan-wikis such as Wookieepedia and Memory Alpha.
Rules and Guidelines
The following are the current rules and guidelines.
- Do not present original research or fanon as "official" fact.
- Do not censor arguments you dislike. The Open Database is here to present known arguments, fan views, etc etc. Most articles on arguments will contain at least Pro and Con sections. The Soapbox is excepted from this rule.
- Articles are to be written in a neutral tone, including arguments, as much as possible. All POVs are to be presented as concisely and directly as possible. The Soapbox is also excepted from this rule.
- Do not post copyrighted material without explicit written permission. To make this clear: Do not copy and paste material from someone else's website. If you are posting copyrighted material, permission to post that copyrighted material should be e-mailed to email@example.com.
- Discussion is for discussion pages, not articles; discussion pages are subject to periodic trimming should they get too long. Lengthy back-and-forth arguments are best held on discussion forums. The Open Database is not a discussion forum.
A revert is editing an article back to the way it was. In order to discourage edit wars, we have several rules regarding reverts. These rules are subject to change if they do not work.
- 3RR: Do not make more than three reverts within 24 hours. Reverting vandalism may be an exception to this rule, but do not count on it.
- 7RR: An article may not be reverted more than 7 times in 24 hours, excepting clear-cut cases of vandalism.
- HRR: At least one hour must pass between reverts performed on the same article. That is to say, if you edit an article, and someone else reverts it, you must wait another hour before re-reverting your edit back in.
- Play in the Sandbox. Preach on the Soapbox.
- Use common sense.
- Act in good faith.
- Avoid personal attacks.
- Don't start edit wars.
- If it's an argument you disagree with, you probably shouldn't do anything more meaningful than copyedit.
- If it's not a simple copyedit - i.e., if the meaning is changed at all - please do not label it a minor edit.
- Keep articles short. Separate articles to deal with specific arguments or topics are encouraged.
- Feel free to cite specific sources and articles within the text like this, but try not to make long lists of external links. The Starfleet Jedi Open Database is not a link farm. If an external article or argument is commonly referenced, it may deserve an article about it here, which would then contain the external link.
Good question, hm?